Splunk Search

Could not construct lookup

gopenshaw
Explorer

Hi,

I'm having an issue with a splunk lookup and I can't work out what the issue is. I have a lookup file, that among other things contains a mac address field and a hostname field

mac, nt_host
aabbccddeeff, machine1
a1b1c1d1e1f1, machine2

etc.

I then have a search which returns data like the following:

MAC: AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
   interface: ge-X/X/XX
   switch: SWITCHNAME
   timestamp: 2019-10-14T09:02:02+00:00

I'm trying to match the mac in the lookup table and return the nt_host:

index=os source="logfile" host="logfilehost"
| eval mac = lower(trim(replace(MAC, ":", "")))
| lookup lookupfile mac OUTPUT nt_host

But I get the following error:
Streamed search execute failed because: Error in 'lookup' command: Could not construct lookup 'lookupfile, mac, OUTPUT, dns'. See search.log for more details..

If i run this search it works:

index=os source="logfile" host="logfilehost"
| eval mac = lower(trim(replace(MAC, ":", "")))
| table mac
| lookup lookupfile mac OUTPUT nt_host

but a subsequent stats command then returns the same error again. I'm unsure whats happening here and I see no errors in the search log.

No idea what I'm missing here.

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

gopenshaw
Explorer

I've realised the problem here is that some values in my lookup file are blank which causes the lookup to fail.

View solution in original post

gopenshaw
Explorer

I've realised the problem here is that some values in my lookup file are blank which causes the lookup to fail.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...