Splunk Search

Converting String to date

SAPrabhakar
Explorer

I am trying to convert the string "08/04/16 09:40:41.690" to a date in splunk. I think that I am supposed to use some combination of strptime and strftime but I can't figure it you. I thought that eval testTime = strptime(message.facets.requestStart, "%m/%d/%Y %I:%M:%S:%3Q") would do the trick but that doesn't seem to work.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

| makeresults | eval x="08/04/16 09:40:41.690" | eval y=strptime(x, "%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S") | eval z=strftime(y, "%m/%d/%Y") | table x y z

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this
To convert to epoch

your base search | eval testTime = strptime('message.facets.requestStart', "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S:%N")

To convert to epoch and round to start of the day

your base search | eval testTime = relative_time(strptime('message.facets.requestStart', "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S:%N"),"@d")
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

| makeresults | eval x="08/04/16 09:40:41.690" | eval y=strptime(x, "%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S") | eval z=strftime(y, "%m/%d/%Y") | table x y z
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...