Splunk Search

How to convert seconds to days?

mark_chuman
Path Finder

This search:

index=perfstats host=hostname | chart max(System_Up_Time) as "System Uptime" by host

Outputs a value such as this:

Just trying to convert this value in seconds to days.

Thanks. Looked at different posts, but can't seem to convert it effectively.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

Raja
Engager

perfect

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

All that you need is an eval command to do the math and store in a new field

index=perfstats host=hostname | eval Uptime_Days = System_Up_Time/86400 | chart max(Uptime_Days) as "System Uptime" by host

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The tostring() takes seconds, you've fed it with days. Pick only one way of conversion, not both at once.

0 Karma

mark_chuman
Path Finder

Tried to ensure I'm not using multiple conversions at once by using these two searches:

index=perfstats host=hostname | eval Uptime_Days = System_Up_Time | chart max(Uptime_Days) as "System Uptime" by host | eval System Uptime = tostring('System Uptime', "duration")

index=perfstats host=hostname | chart max(Uptime_Days) as "System Uptime" by host | eval System Uptime = tostring('System Uptime', "duration")

No data found on both. Just an FYI, no need to reply if you don't want. The initial reply is good.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Another neat thing is this after the chart:

... | eval System Uptime = tostring('System Uptime', "duration")

That will provide a readable string with days, hours, minutes, ...

mark_chuman
Path Finder

you mean like this?

index=perfstats host=hostname | eval Uptime_Days = System_Up_Time/86400 | chart max(Uptime_Days) as "System Uptime" by host | eval System Uptime = tostring('System Uptime', "duration")

I get data like this

00:00:17.723748506149999

Thanks

0 Karma

mark_chuman
Path Finder

Thanks very much.

0 Karma

Raja
Engager

Any idea on how to use round function after 17.723748506149999  like 17.72 
when I use round function values no results found.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Firstly, a golden shovel award 😉 you dug up a thread from 8 years ago 😄

But seriously. If you have a field which looks like a number but doesn't work like a number (nummerical functions don't give you expected results), you're probably dealing with a text field containing string representation of a number. You have to convert it to number first.

| makeresults
| eval stringfield="17.1654923"
| eval bad=round(stringfield,2)
| eval good=round(tonumber(stringfield),2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try like this

| eval System Uptime = tostring(round('System Uptime',2), "duration")
Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...