Splunk Search

Conversion to UNIX time

zacksoft
Contributor

I want to convert my default _time field to UNIX/Epoch time and have it in a different field. This is how the Time field looks now.

2/7/18

3:35:10.531 AM

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Super Champion

_time is already in epoch format...
so try:

...|eval time=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

but if time is in different field then try this run anywhere search:

| makeresults |eval time="2/7/18 3:35:10.531 AM"|eval Time=strptime(time,"%m/%d/%y %I:%M:%S.%3N %p")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

hey @zacksoft

You can use strftime(X,Y) to convert in a specified time format in Y and strptime(X,Y) to convert the same in epoch time.
have a look at this doc
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/SearchReference/DateandTimeFunctions#strftime.28X....

For time format, you can have a look at this doc
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Commontimeformatvariables

Try this run anywhere search for more:

| gentimes start=-1 end=20 
| eval Endtime=strftime(endtime,"%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S"),Starttime=strftime(starttime,"%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S"),Starthuman=strptime(starthuman,"%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y"),Endhuman=strptime(endhuman,"%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y") 
| table starttime Starttime endtime Endtime starthuman Starthuman endhuman Endhuman

let me know if this helps!

0 Karma

Super Champion

_time is already in epoch format...
so try:

...|eval time=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

but if time is in different field then try this run anywhere search:

| makeresults |eval time="2/7/18 3:35:10.531 AM"|eval Time=strptime(time,"%m/%d/%y %I:%M:%S.%3N %p")
0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

Can I perform math functions like add/subtract to the time field after using
|eval time=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") ?

example new_time = time +39s ??

0 Karma

Super Champion

you have to perform math before strftime function

0 Karma

Super Champion

so you have to convert min into sec. and then add. here 30m=30*60sec

new_time=_time+1800|eval new_time=strftime(new_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

That's just how _time automatically get's presented, under the hood, it is still a UNIX timestamp value. So you can simply do:
| eval mytime=_time

zacksoft
Contributor

If it is internally represented at epoch time, then can math functions be applied to _time field directly ? i.e. new_time = _time + 30m ('new_time' is the time after 30 minutes) ..something like this ?

0 Karma

Super Champion

so you have to convert min into sec. and then add. here 30m=30*60sec

new_time=_time+1800|eval new_time=strftime(new_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...