Splunk Search

Conversion errors with DatabaseLookupExecutor (Splunk DBX)

megancarney
Explorer

Someone kindly answered my question in the Splunk channel, but I thought I'd post the answer here since it didn't show up in my searches on the site.

I setup DBX to connect to a MySQL database that had a mapping between host IP addresses and the operating system on that host.

When I tried to the use the lookup table I got this error:

2014-04-10 11:07:35.376 dbx1929:ERROR:DatabaseLookupExecutor - Error while performing SplunkLookup DatabaseLookupExecutor: com.splunk.dbx.lookup.DBLookupException: Unsupported field SQL error while performing lookup: java.sql.SQLException: Cannot convert value "<redacted_host_ip>" to required datatype LONG com.splunk.dbx.lookup.DBLookupException: Unsupported field SQL error while performing lookup: java.sql.SQLException: Cannot convert value "<redacted_host_ip>" to required datatype LONG at com.splunk.dbx.lookup.DatabaseLookupExecutor.performSimpleLookup(DatabaseLookupExecutor.java:56) at com.splunk.dbx.lookup.DatabaseLookupExecutor.performLookup(DatabaseLookupExecutor.java:41) at com.splunk.runtime.SplunkLookup.invoke(SplunkLookup.java:26)

The search was:

sourcetype=proxy_logs | lookup KACE_machine_inventory host_ip OUTPUT os_name 

The problem was the hostip field in the database was stored as an unsigned int, and Splunk was trying to convert it to a LONG and failing.

To get around this error, you need to either change the lookup to a SQL query that casts the hostip field as a varchar before bringing that data into splunk OR change the data type in the column you're using to something Splunk likes import.

What I did was create a second hostip column (hostipstring) in the database that was a varchar instead of an unsigned int, and excluded the hostip column from the lookup table.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hi, another way to do this is to use the SQL command CONVERT... e.g. SELECT CONVERT(varchar(10), host_ip),os_name FROM table_name. That way you're not messing with the schema in KACE's database, which can lead to performance or upgrade problems.

0 Karma

megancarney
Explorer

Excellent point. I should have been clearer. The database I edited wasn't KACE's internal database. The database I changed was a separate one that's populated with some of the data in KACE.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...