Splunk Search

Consolidating data from different indexes into one table

jonthree
Explorer

I have 4 applications integrated with each other -  their names let's say A, B, C, D respectively. All these applications have different index, sourcetype and source. Now, when i call my API from application A, it traverse to B, C and D to perform some operations. I want to trace the error logs of all these applications at one location in splunk. Also, if an error occurs, there is a common reference id which is logged in all the application's logs respectively.

How to achieve this ? Is there a straightforward concept for this type of scenario?

What i am imagining is like this :

Ref IDApplication A LogsApplication B  LogsApplication C  LogsApplication D  Logs
1234<logs of app A for id 1234><logs of app B for id 1234><logs of app C for id 1234><logs of app D for id 1234>
4567<logs of app A for id 4567><logs of app B for id 4567><logs of app C for id 4567><logs of app D for id 4567>

Or is there a better way of doing this? I am trying to create a dashboard panel with this result.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

jonthree
Explorer

Thanks @scelikok .

Actually I want to see the error logs. And it is a little bit complex. There are different format of logs in different application. What i was trying to do was this:

Example:  error log for a particular API call is :

In Application A:

10.0.9.456 - - 23/Mar/2021:17:29:52 +0000 "POST /abc/test/performuse HTTP/1.1"  dest tenant1.myapp.com status 400 refid 1615 msg Some bad request error occured in application A

In Application B:

10.0.9.456 - - 23/Mar/2021:17:29:52 +0000 "POST Error occured in Application C status 400 bad request refid 1615 msg Some bad request error occured in application B.

Application C:

{"app":"myapp","timestamp":"2021-03-23T18:44:21.695Z","eventName":"My-event","component":"My-component","response":{"status":"FAILED","statusCode":"400", "refId":"1615","msg": "something went wrong"}

I am using rex to fetch ref id from application A & B. So i am tracing the propagating logs here. So is there any way i can add the logic to fetch refids in the query mentioned.

Apart from consolidated panel, I have tried to use subsearch to make different panels also, like :  index=*applicationB* [search index=*applicationA* rex <some expression> | fields refid] . It gives me the logs of Application B propagated from A.

Now how do i subsearch this refid in application C(as it is in json format) from the data i received from application B?  

This does not worked for me:

index=*applicationC*[search index=*applicationB* [search index=*applicationA* rex <some expression> | fields refid] 
| rex <some expression> | fields rexid statusCode]

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jonthree,

If you want to see the _raw logs you can use below,

index=A OR index=B OR index=D OR index=D
| chart values(_raw) over ref_id by index
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...