Splunk Search

Complex Pie Chart

hburton
Explorer

I'm sorry for the terrible subject. I can't think of a simplified title for what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to graph wireless SSID utilization. I want to pie chart our SSIDs by counting unique users for each ssid based on RADIUS authentication logs.

The logs will contain..

1. A Reason-Code that lets me know that it is a successful authentication

2. A Called-Station-Id that I can extract the SSID from

3. A User-Name that I can use to get unique users

My first attempt is 

index=radius | xmlkv | search "Reason-Code"=0 | rex field="Called-Station-Id" ":(?<SSID>.+)" | stats count by SSID

This is getting close, but it's going to count users more than once if they authenticate more than once on the same SSID, which they will.

I know that dc("User-Name") will let me do distinct counting on the user, but I can't figure out how to put these together to get the number of unique users per SSID. I either don't understand the pipeline, or I'm trying to do something that can't be done this way.

To make it a little more complicated, I DO want to count the same user for each SSID. For example, if a user connects to ssid1 and then leaves and connects to ssid2, I would like to count them one time for each of the SSIDs.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats dc("User-Name") by SSID
————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

View solution in original post

hburton
Explorer

Thank you. That works perfectly. I wish it hadn't been so simple though. I feel like a dumb* now. 

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's okay, sometimes it happens no worries. keep splunking.

————————————
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats dc("User-Name") by SSID
————————————
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...