Splunk Search

Complex Pie Chart

hburton
Explorer

I'm sorry for the terrible subject. I can't think of a simplified title for what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to graph wireless SSID utilization. I want to pie chart our SSIDs by counting unique users for each ssid based on RADIUS authentication logs.

The logs will contain..

1. A Reason-Code that lets me know that it is a successful authentication

2. A Called-Station-Id that I can extract the SSID from

3. A User-Name that I can use to get unique users

My first attempt is 

index=radius | xmlkv | search "Reason-Code"=0 | rex field="Called-Station-Id" ":(?<SSID>.+)" | stats count by SSID

This is getting close, but it's going to count users more than once if they authenticate more than once on the same SSID, which they will.

I know that dc("User-Name") will let me do distinct counting on the user, but I can't figure out how to put these together to get the number of unique users per SSID. I either don't understand the pipeline, or I'm trying to do something that can't be done this way.

To make it a little more complicated, I DO want to count the same user for each SSID. For example, if a user connects to ssid1 and then leaves and connects to ssid2, I would like to count them one time for each of the SSIDs.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats dc("User-Name") by SSID
————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

View solution in original post

hburton
Explorer

Thank you. That works perfectly. I wish it hadn't been so simple though. I feel like a dumb* now. 

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's okay, sometimes it happens no worries. keep splunking.

————————————
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats dc("User-Name") by SSID
————————————
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...