Splunk Search

Complex JSON (and Multivalue) processing

jerewill
Explorer

I've been working on a project with JSON in the event where Tags are stored similar to this...

{
"Name": "example",
"Tags": [
{"Key": "Building", "Value": "1"},
{"Key": "Floor", "Value": "2"},
{"Key": "Color", "Value": "Red"}
]
}

The default extract from spath provided the Tags{}.Key and Tags{}.Value fields which were pretty much useless as-is.  What I wanted was for each tag to be a field on the event so that you could use them in a search, ex. Building=1 AND Color=Red.  But the number of tags varies and the same value could appear in multiple tags (i.e. Building=1 AND Floor=1). 

Here's what I came up with so far... I'm curious if anyone has a better suggestion.

| rename Tags{}.Key as Key, Tags{}.Value as Value | eval zip=mvzip(Key,Value, ":") | mvexpand zip |rex field=zip mode=sed "s/$/\"}/g" |rex field=zip mode=sed "s/^/{\"tag./g"| rex field=zip mode=sed "s/:/\": \"/g" | spath input=zip | transaction Name

This approach basically uses mvzip and mvexpand to pull apart the Tags, then uses rex with sed to rebuild a JSON object to pass back through spath.  It seems pretty complex, but I just can't see a better way to do it.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has a better suggestion?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This app may help you - developed by Brett Adams, a Splunk Trust member, it is designed to extract arrays of KV pairs from JSON arrays.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/6161/

View solution in original post

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A different hack - similar idea to mvzip but looks more SPLy, is to use mvmap and extract.

| rename Tags{}.* AS *
| eval ind = mvrange(0, mvcount(Key))
| eval pair=mvmap(ind, mvappend(pair, mvindex(Key, ind). "=" . mvindex(Value, ind)))
| rename _raw AS temp, pair AS _raw
| kv
| rename temp As _raw

Output from the sample data is thus

NameBuildingFloorColor
example12Red
Tags (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You shouldn't have to zip as the data is well contained.  Use path in spath.

``` assuming field json contains that JSON object ```
| spath input=json path=Tags{}
| mvexpand Tags{}
| spath input=Tags{}

With sample data, you get

KeyTags{}Value_time
Building{"Key": "Building", "Value": "1"}12022-07-20 01:45:58
Floor{"Key": "Floor", "Value": "2"}22022-07-20 01:45:58
Color{"Key": "Color", "Value": "Red"}Red2022-07-20 01:45:58

Does this look like something you want?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jerewill
Explorer

Not quite…

I want one record that looks more like this…

NameBuildingFloorColor
example12Red

The problem is that you can’t effectively search multiple tags with what you have there.  For example, I can search `Key=Floor AND Value=2` to get the second record of the mvexpand, but I can’t get a search that links them together.  I need to be able to do a search that is more like `Building=1 AND Floor=2` Does that make sense? 

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That looks awfully like transpose.  Would this work?

| spath input=json path=Tags{}
| mvexpand Tags{}
| spath input=Tags{}
| table Key Value
| transpose header_field=Key column_name=Name

NameBuildingFloorColor
Value12Red
Tags (1)
0 Karma

jerewill
Explorer

That doesn't seem to work for me.  The table before the transpose looks like this...

NameKeyValue
exampleBuilding1
exampleFloor2
exampleColorRed

Then the transpose turns the Name field into columns which, again, doesn't get something that can be well searched for things like (Building=1 AND Floor=2).

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This will do the trick - using foreach 

| makeresults
| eval _raw="{
\"Name\": \"example\",
\"Tags\": [
 {\"Key\": \"Building\", \"Value\": \"1\"},
 {\"Key\": \"Floor\", \"Value\": \"2\"},
 {\"Key\": \"Color\", \"Value\": \"Red\"}
 ]
}"
| spath
| rename Tags{}.* as *
| foreach 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [ eval k=mvindex(Key, <<FIELD>>), v=mvindex(Value, <<FIELD>>), x_{k}=v ]
| table name x_* 
| rename x_* as *

just make the foreach loop big enough to accommodate the array length.

However, I do believe that's exactly what the app is designed to to more efficiently.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This app may help you - developed by Brett Adams, a Splunk Trust member, it is designed to extract arrays of KV pairs from JSON arrays.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/6161/

jerewill
Explorer

I do think that this seems like a good solution, but I think adding an application will have to be an alternative solution for me in this case. But this is very interesting and does do what I want very nicely.  I was not aware of it previously, so thank you.

array2object path="Tags" key=Key value=Value

Very easy.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...