Splunk Search

Compare the values from two fields ( one is from a lookup)

ng87
Path Finder

Hi all

Trying to build a query and struggling in "comparing" two fields. 

Essentially this is what i am trying to do 

1) I have logs from our online email service which has the usual details ( time , source ip , email address and source logon country etc )

2) I have a lookup in Splunk with the common Active directory details ( name, title , country etc ) 

What i am trying to do is to get a search to show me the logons where the two Country fields dont match 

ex ( UserA logged on from Germany, his AD Details show the user is based in Germany therefore i dont want to know) 

This is what i have so far : 

index="email"
| lookup adusers Email AS Username OUTPUT DisplayName Title Country
| where "logon country" != "Country"
| table Username "Source IP" "logon country" DisplayName Title Country 

The "Where" statement doesn't , any ideas on how to get this working ( if its possible of course) .

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try logon country in single quotes (as it is a field name) and remove double quotes from Country since it is also a field name (without spaces in)

| where 'logon country' != Country

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try logon country in single quotes (as it is a field name) and remove double quotes from Country since it is also a field name (without spaces in)

| where 'logon country' != Country

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ng87,

di you tried with "search" instead "where"?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

ng87
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

Yes i tried the below :

| search "logon country" != "Country"

Didn't work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...