Splunk Search

Compare inputlookup column with actual search

dblagojevic
Engager

Hi all,

I have .csv file with the multiple columns. But only one will be used to compare results, name of that column is exampleIP.
My goal is to compare ip address from that column with the column client.ipaddress from index=blah. If it matches, output new column: Match with the results of Yes or No.

exampleip
--------------

index=blah
| table client.ipaddress

desired output
|table exampleip, client.ipaddress, match
---------
1.1.1.1 | | No
2.2.2.2 | 2.2.2.2 |  yes
3.3.3.3 | 3.3.3.3 | yes

I have already tried to apply different answers from similar subjects but no luck.
Also, is there a way to add other columns from index=blah in the end table result?
Thanks all in advance

0 Karma
1 Solution

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @dblagojevic,

Try this:

index=blah
| lookup csv_filename.csv exampleip as client.ipaddress OUTPUT exampleip 
| eval match=if('client.ipaddress'== exampleip, "yes", "no")

View solution in original post

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @dblagojevic,

Try this:

index=blah
| lookup csv_filename.csv exampleip as client.ipaddress OUTPUT exampleip 
| eval match=if('client.ipaddress'== exampleip, "yes", "no")

dblagojevic
Engager

Hi @manjunathmeti ,

Thanks for your answer. It worked as a charm. I have just added:
| table client.ipaddress, exampleip, match, and of other interesting columns

If i may ask additional question: do you think that this could be done if a column exampleip contains cidr ranges?
For example: 10.0.1.0/24

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is possible using CSV lookup

• Create & upload lookup test.csv

iprange
10.0.1.0/24
10.0.2.0/24

• Create new lookup definition (Settings -> Lookup -> Lookup definition) Name: user_friendly_name Type: File-based Lookup file : test.csv Advanced Options: Match Type: CIDR(iprange)
  • Query

index=blah | lookup user_friendly_name iprange as client.ipaddress OUTPUT iprange | eval match=if(isnotnull(iprange),"yes","no")

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No that's not possible using csv lookup. If you few values for exampleip then you can use cidrmatch function like below:

index=blah | eval client_ipaddress = 'client.ipaddress', match=if(cidrmatch("10.0.1.0/24", client_ipaddress), "yes", "no")
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...