Splunk Search

Combined Search - Difference in two lists

splunk219783
Path Finder

This always feels exceptionally difficult to me, i'm not sure what i'm missing.

I have a list of machines, a simple CSV with a Name, Category, and Tag.  Kind of like this:

VMCategoryTag
VM1BackupFriday
VM1DatacenterAWS
VM2BackupMonday
VM2CriticalYes
VM2DatacenterAzure
VM3CriticalNo
VM3DatacenterAzure

I want to find machines that do not have a backup Category, so in this example it would be VM3.

I've written a search to give me all Machines, and another one to give me all machines with backups.  I've written this:

index=vcenter source=*tag* | dedup VM | fields VM | search VM NOT [search index=vcenter source=*tag* Category=Backup* | dedup VM | fields VM] | table VM

I get some results but not all.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have the general idea.

Check the subsearch by running it by itself and adding "| format" on the end.  You'll see it returns a result that looks like "(VM="VM1" OR VM="VM2)"".  That string is added to the main search to complete the query so we end up with 

index=vcenter source=*tag* | dedup VM | fields VM | search VM NOT (VM="VM1" OR VM="VM2") | table VM

There's an extra "VM" in the search command.  Removing it works in my sandbox.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have the general idea.

Check the subsearch by running it by itself and adding "| format" on the end.  You'll see it returns a result that looks like "(VM="VM1" OR VM="VM2)"".  That string is added to the main search to complete the query so we end up with 

index=vcenter source=*tag* | dedup VM | fields VM | search VM NOT (VM="VM1" OR VM="VM2") | table VM

There's an extra "VM" in the search command.  Removing it works in my sandbox.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

splunk219783
Path Finder

Thanks Rich.  When I run the subsearch by itself with | format i do get a whole list of:

(VM="VM1") OR (VM="VM2") OR (VM="VM3")

I'm not following on where I have the extra VM in my subsearch though?

0 Karma

splunk219783
Path Finder

For anyone who stumbles in the future Rich was right, but I think his example was not.  I did not need VM between search and not in the second search.  The final search was:

index=vcenter source=*tag* | dedup VM | fields VM | search NOT [search index=vcenter source=*tag* Category=Backup* | fields VM]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...