Splunk Search

Combine two tables without the use of join and without aggregating values

moonie
Explorer

Hello, 

I'm working on a really complex search where I need to combine results from different lookup tables. One lookup table is really big with multiple million entries, while the other one is quite small with only a thousand entries. 
Both tables have one common field, let's call it "office". The big tables has entries for task which are applied to a certain office. The other table has more information about the office. 
Some example data for the task lookup:

officecitycountryimportance
xxxmadridspainvery important
yyyparisfranceimportant

Office table looks similar to this:

officegroupname
xxxthisaaa
yyythatbbb

I want to add the group and name fields to the first task table, without loosing any entries from the task table, so I can continue working with it. I've tried a lot of different approaches but none of them work. I got the best results with this search, but it's still not the outcome I want:

| inputlookup task_lookup 
| eval importance_very_important=if(match(importance, "very important"), 1, 0), importance_important=if(match(importance, "important"), 1, 0), importance_less_important=if(match(importance, "less important"), 1, 0)
| eval source="task"
| append [| inputlookup office_lookup | eval source="office"]
| stats values(source) as source, values(country) as country, values(city) as city, sum(importance_*) as *, values(group) as group, values(name) as name by office
| where mvcount(source)=2

This search gives me the right combination of fields BUT it also combines the different cities and countries, which I don't want, since I need them seperated so I can filter them. I get the following outcome (e.g.):

officecountrycitynamegroupvery_importantimportantless_important
xxx

madrid

paris

spain

france

italy

aaathis378
yyy

rome

paris

france

spain

bbbthat534

So all in all I need a result table that doesn't combine any values so I can work with them seperately. I'm at a point where I have no clue how to accomplish this, so any help would be highly appreciated! 🙂 
Additional info: I don't want to use join since the first lookup has so many entries, I don't thinks that's going to work. I also can't just use mvexpand, since it doesn't properly expand the counts for the different task counts with their importance.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

While the inputlookup command can be powerful, many seem to forget the usefulness and simplicity of lookup.

| eval importance_very_important=if(match(importance, "very important"), 1, 0), importance_important=if(match(importance, "important"), 1, 0), importance_less_important=if(match(importance, "less important"), 1, 0)
| eval source="task"
| lookup office_lookup office

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

While the inputlookup command can be powerful, many seem to forget the usefulness and simplicity of lookup.

| eval source="task"
| lookup office_lookup office

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Alternatively, if your second "table" was not a lookup but a search, you could use eventstats to "join" the "tables"

| gentimes start=-1 increment=10m 
| rename starttime as _time 
| fields - endhuman endtime starthuman 
| eval count=random() % 20 
| eval office=mvindex(split("xxx,yyy,zzz",","),random() % 3)
| eval importance=mvindex(split("very important,important,less important",","),random() % 3)
| eval source="task"
| append
    [| makeresults 
    | eval range=mvrange(1,4)
    | mvexpand range
    | eval office=mvindex(split("xxx,yyy,zzz",","),range % 3)
    | eval country=mvindex(split("Spain,France,Italy",","),range % 3)
    | eval city=mvindex(split("Madrid,Paris,Rome",","),range % 3)
    | fields - range]
| eventstats values(country) as country values(city) as city by office
| where isnotnull(count)
0 Karma

moonie
Explorer

This works perfectly, thank you so much!!

I didn't even think of lookup, but I'll def keep it in mind now for further searches. What a great solution. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...