Splunk Search

Combine separate fields to a single MV field?

pbarbuto
Path Finder

As far as I know using mvcommand only creates an MV field out of values from a single field. In a column for example. I need to combine several fields to a single MV_field but all these fields have different names. 

For example, I have field1, field2, field3. And I need a single MV_field containing values for all of them. Also, it would nice if this could be dynamic in a way that I can combine 'field*' to 'MV_field' with all the values.

I am able to accomplish combining the different fields using evals mvappend function, but it doesn't take wildcards.  

Example, "| eval MV_field=mvappend(field1,field2,field3)" works. But there isn't always the same amount of fields. 

It would be really nice to be able to do "| eval MV_field=mvappend(field*)" to simply catch all that exist and throw them in a single MV_field.

Is this possible?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I believe mvappend is the right command.  You just need a way to apply to a variable number of fields.  Try the foreach command for that.

| eval MV_field = ""
| foreach field* [ eval MV_field = mvappend(MV_field, <<FIELD>>) ]

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

pbarbuto
Path Finder

yup that'll do it. Thanks! 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I believe mvappend is the right command.  You just need a way to apply to a variable number of fields.  Try the foreach command for that.

| eval MV_field = ""
| foreach field* [ eval MV_field = mvappend(MV_field, <<FIELD>>) ]

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...