Splunk Search

Combine features from both stats and chart command

cmak
Contributor

My fields in this example are (row, column, data and count)

I want to combine the features of this command:

chart sum(count) by row, column

This would make something like :

column1 column2

row1 2 2
row2 3 1

with

stats sum(count) by row,data

This could create:
sum(count)
row1 data1 1
row1 data2 1
row2 data1 3
row2 data2 4

What I want is the combination:

column1   column2

row1 data1 1 2
row1 data2 1 2
row2 data1 3 5
row2 data2 4 4

where the columns (column 1 and 2) are dynamic - All possible values of field column

In short, I would like to split by multiple fields, but also create a matrix with another particular field.

I suppose I could also try stats sum(eval(column="column1")), but I cannot find a way sum the count field with an eval statement. if there is a way to do this, I can dynamically generate the query with a long line of sum(eval) statements.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

the xyseries command can turn a stats-style result set into the equivalent chart-style one, but since you can only specify one group-by field (the docs call it an x-field), you have to use eval to glom your unique combinations into a single field, wash it through xyseries, and then split it apart again after.

... | stats sum(count) by row data column | eval combined=row+"_"+data | xyseries combined column sum(count) | eval row=mvindex(split(combined,"_"),0) | eval data=mvindex(split(combined,"_"),1) | fields - combined | fields row data *

xyseries docs: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Xyseries

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

the xyseries command can turn a stats-style result set into the equivalent chart-style one, but since you can only specify one group-by field (the docs call it an x-field), you have to use eval to glom your unique combinations into a single field, wash it through xyseries, and then split it apart again after.

... | stats sum(count) by row data column | eval combined=row+"_"+data | xyseries combined column sum(count) | eval row=mvindex(split(combined,"_"),0) | eval data=mvindex(split(combined,"_"),1) | fields - combined | fields row data *

xyseries docs: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Xyseries

cmak
Contributor

This is great

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...