Splunk Search
Highlighted

Coalesce Fields With Values Excluding Nulls

Explorer

I know you can coalesce multiple columns to merge them into one. However, I am currently coalescing around 8 fields, some of which have null values. Because the last field I am including is sparse (only appears in 3% of the logs), I have found that the coalesced field returns as mostly null (matching the last coalesced field). A demonstration of what I'd like to do is below (Acol is first to coalesce then Bcol to make Ccol and Bcol overwrites Acol if the value in Bcol is not null).

Here is the query format I am using
... | eval name = coalesce(entityName, individualName) | ...

A demonstration of what I'd like to do (C is a coalesced field of A and B):
    A_col .    B_col .    C_col
    A             Null .      A
    Null .      B .           B
   A .            B .          B
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Coalesce Fields With Values Excluding Nulls

Explorer

I believe this should work
| eval Ccol =coalesce(Acol, Bcol, Ccol)

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

@ghantk1 Didn't do it for me, null values are still overwriting if in the last column I am coalescing on ( | eval Ccol =coalesce(Acol, Bcol, Ccol) command makes Bcol nulls overwrite Acol non-null values)

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Do you have control of the field extractions? If so, why not change the extractions in order to ignore the nulls?

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The Null on your output is actual Splunk's null/blank value or a literal "Null" string? Assuming it's former, specify the 2nd column first in the coalesce command.

| eval C_col=coalesce(B_col, A_col)

That way if Bcol is available that will be used, else Acol will be used.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

@somesoni2 No it means that that log file doesn't have that field. For, example the field transactionid may be a non-nested key or it could be something like payload.response.transactionid which is nested. I basically want to melt that into one column, but am having problems with null overwriting the current value. You suggested that I order the columns in increasing sparseness? (i.e. coalesce(4% sparse,20% sparse, 80% sparse))

0 Karma