Splunk Search

Choosing the right amount of data to chart

chowell
Explorer

I'm currently indexing DHCP stats, used and free for each scope, every five minutes. Now, if I want to chart this information for say a day it's not a problem. But, if I want to chart this data for longer periods of time, how can I get Splunk to selectively pull the used and free data at the top of every hour, or two hours etc. to cut down the data points? Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Splunk's timechart command actually already does this by default until you tell it not to. Among the various arguments you can feed timechart with, there's span and bins. The default number for bins is 100, meaning timechart will always choose the timespan so that no more than 100 intervals will be used. You can change this as you see fit.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...