Splunk Search

Check if value is null for a period of time

masterpipo

Hi Guys,

I need help to set-up an email alert for Splunk that will trigger if a value is null for a specific amount of time. The value in question is derived from multiple values and added by eval command and is piped into timechart command with timespan of 1min.

I basically want it to inform me that value is null for x amount of mins.

Thanks!

0 Karma

rtadams89
Contributor

Why would delay_test ever be null?

If it is being null because delaya, delayb, delayc, or delayd are null, then this issue is with the way you are doing concatenation/addition. If any of the fields in an "eval newField=field1+field2...filedX" are null, the newField will be null. If you are attempting to add all those fields (that is, mathematical add them), you'll want to use either the fillnull (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Fillnull) or "eval ifnull()" function to make sure all the delayX fields have a value (even if it is "0"). Then you may need to use the "convert" function to make sure all the delayX values are treated as numbers. After that, you will be able to add them up to a get a "Delay_test" value for every event.

0 Karma

masterpipo

delayb, delay c and delay d will be null if there are no mail logs being generated, hence no mail. This is what I want to monitor. If there are mail logs, then value will always be an integer. I do hope I am making the right assumption 🙂

0 Karma

rtadams89
Contributor

Alternatively, use an eval "case", eval "coalesce", replace function, or fillnull function to set the value of the field to a literal "null". Then use the transaction command along with the "startswith" and "endswith" parameters to merge the series of events that start with a "null" value and end with a non-"null" value into transaction events. The transaction command will output a "duration" field for each transaction. You can then do a conditional alert only when the events have a duration > X.

If you can give some example data, I can write the query described above.

0 Karma

masterpipo

Thanks!

The data in question are postfix logs:

Aug 8 07:32:49 localhost Aug 8 07:32:49 postfix/smtp[64151]: 5860A98052B: to=xxxx@domain.com, relay=relay[x.x.x.x]:25, conn_use=13, delay=0.75, delays=0.49/0/0.01/0.25, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as B720D58C6B1)

My query contains the following:

rex field=delays "(?.)\/(?.)\/(?.)\/(?.)" | eval delay_test = delayb + delayc + delayd | timechart span="1m" max(delay_test) by host useother=f usenull=f

So the value I need to be evaluated is delay_test if it is null for any duration of time

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could set a temporary field to 1 if your value is null and to 0 otherwise, sum up that temporary field - that's your number of minutes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...