Splunk Search

Charting concurrency for all time spans

jeffa
Path Finder

I have a query that creates a transaction and then calculates the concurrency for the transactions based on the duration calculated by the 'transaction' command...

sourcetype="mySourcetype" (startEventText) OR (endEventText) | transaction host custID startswith="startEventText" endswith="endEventText" | concurrency duration=duration

I would like to chart the number of concurrent transactions over time, but when I use a standard "| timechart span=1m max(concurrency)", I see the concurrency results at the time a particular transaction started, but not for subsequent time spans. In my scenario, a transaction may take several minutes (up to hours), and I'd like a visual representation of how many of these transactions are happening at any given timespan (not just the timespans where a transaction started).

[How] Can this be done?

steveyz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

try adding | filldown to the end of your search. This is available in 4.2 and later

jeffa
Path Finder

Precisely what I was looking for. Thanks! (Original)

(Edit)
Actually...this is close, but I noticed that the "score" doesn't drop off when the transaction completes.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

you mean after the timechart span=1m max(concurrency) of course, not just after the concurrency command.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...