Splunk Search

Changing the order of displayed single field values in a timechart column

sendijsd
Engager

Hello, fellow Splunkers.

I am currently trying to create a stacked timechart column using a simple search query: timechart count by type limit=0
Since Splunk uses lexicographical ordering by default, I ended up getting an undesired end result.

In this particular situation, I have several types(values of the single field) that I would like to display next to each other in the column chart and to do that I have tried assigning a numerical values by using eval/case commands and then sorting the values like this:

timechart count by type limit=0 | eval sort_field=case(type="type1",1, type="type2",2, type="type3",3, type="type4",4) | sort sort_field

This approach had no effect whatsoever and no values were changed/re-ordered. As far as I can tell, not even the sort_field was created.I think there is a specific behavior when using this method with timecharts/charts, but I have not yet figured out a working solution. I managed to debug it a little bit further by trying to re-construct the search bit-by-bit and when I removed the timechart:

... | eval sort_field=case(type="type1",1, type="type2",2, type="type3",3, type="type4",4) | sort sort_field

I could see that the field(sort_field) only had 1 value(the first order value):
alt text

I do believe that there is a major syntax error on my part or something else entirely that I don't fundamentally understand yet.
To sum it up, I am trying to create a column chart showing the count of events based on their type over a period of time. The problem is that the types(chart legend values) are being alphabetically ordered and I would like them to appear in a custom order on the chart.
Perhaps there is someone with more charting experience willing to lend a helping hand? It would be most appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults count=2 
| streamstats count 
| eval _time=if((count == 2),relative_time('_time',"-7d@d"),relative_time('_time',"@d")) 
| makecontinuous span=1h 
| eval type="type".(random() % 4 +1) 
| table _time type
| timechart limit=0 count by type

Hi, @sendijsd
please try this query. Result is below.

_time,type1,type2,type3,type4
2019/11/30,4,7,8,5
2019/12/01,9,3,8,4

This is the current order.
Use fields or table to change it.

| makeresults count=2 
| streamstats count 
| eval _time=if((count == 2),relative_time('_time',"-7d@d"),relative_time('_time',"@d")) 
| makecontinuous span=1h 
| table _time type
| table _time type4,type3,type2,type1

I hope this can solve your problem.

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults count=2 
| streamstats count 
| makecontinuous span=1h 
| table _time type

Hi, @sendijsd
please try this query. Result is below.

_time,type1,type2,type3,type4
2019/11/30,4,7,8,5
2019/12/01,9,3,8,4

This is the current order.
Use fields or table to change it.

| makeresults count=2 
| streamstats count 
| makecontinuous span=1h 
| table _time type
| table _time type4,type3,type2,type1

I hope this can solve your problem.

sendijsd
Engager

Hey, @to4kawa

This was exactly what I was looking for. I am accepting your answer, thank you very much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...