Splunk Search

Cataloging Report Notification Actions

deaseec
Engager

I am looking to catalog which reports/alerts utilize which notification actions. I have a search currently that keys off of, "alert_action", but this is only effective IF the alert has already fired off in the specified time frame. However, I need to be able to see any alerts that will take a given action, even if they have not fired off. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

@deaseec 

You can query searches and actions using the REST API.

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches count=0 splunk_server=local
| foreach action.*
[| eval alert_actions=mvappend(alert_actions, case('<<FIELD>>'==1 AND match("<<FIELD>>", "^action\.[^.]+$"), "<<FIELD>>"))]
| fields splunk_server eai:acl.app title author alert_actions
| search alert_actions=*

Actions have field names like action.foo.

Action parameters have field names like action.foo.bar.

In this example, I've used foreach to iterate over field names and add them to a multi-valued field named alert_actions if 1) the value is 1 and 2) the field is not a parameter.

View solution in original post

deaseec
Engager

That worked PERFECTLY! Thank you for your help.

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@deaseec 

You can query searches and actions using the REST API.

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches count=0 splunk_server=local
| foreach action.*
[| eval alert_actions=mvappend(alert_actions, case('<<FIELD>>'==1 AND match("<<FIELD>>", "^action\.[^.]+$"), "<<FIELD>>"))]
| fields splunk_server eai:acl.app title author alert_actions
| search alert_actions=*

Actions have field names like action.foo.

Action parameters have field names like action.foo.bar.

In this example, I've used foreach to iterate over field names and add them to a multi-valued field named alert_actions if 1) the value is 1 and 2) the field is not a parameter.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...