Splunk Search

Can you use an if statement for the value of two different fields?

jacsilva
Observer

Hello,

I'm a bit new to Splunk, so I'm still learning.

I have created two fields, an opscounter, and a deopcounter. The opscounter keeps count of how many times the field's value, or in this case, the value equates to a username is promoted to admin. If a user is promoted to admin, their count goes up on the opscounter; however, if they are demoted, the deopscounter goes up as well. As you can see in the opscounter image below, user1 was made an admin, and in the opscounter the count of 1, but in the deopscounter, you can see that user1 has a count of one, meaning they were demoted. If they are promoted again, their opscounter value will go to two. If a new user is added, they will automatically be added to the field same if they are demoted, but they will have the same value in both fields. I would like to create a dashboard that displays a list of current admins.

Knowing that is there a way to put every value that is in these fields in an if statement? My thought process is if user1 from opscounter is greater than user1 from deopcounter, display that user. I would like to figure out a way to make this work. If not, I'm open to suggestions on how to get the same results in a dashboard but through a different method.

Any help is appreciated!

image1.png

image2.png

Labels (3)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you show us sample events, not stats?

0 Karma

jacsilva
Observer

Yes, here are some sample events.

deops.png

ops.png

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can do with your fields but it'd be way easier if you had it parsed differently. Why do you parse the same entity (user) into two different fields?

I'd suggest you parse the user separately and the operation ("a server operator" or  "no longer a server operator"). Then it'd be very simple.

<your search> | eval opcount=if(operation="a server operator",1,-1)
| stats sum(opcount) by user
| eval finalstate=if(opcount>0,"operator","not operator")
| table user finalstate

Of course there's an assumption that all users start with a "clean slate" which is not necessarily true (you'd get different results depending on your timerange) so it's not a very good idea to calculate the state of your system this way

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can run this example anywhere, but the last two lines will work for your data

| makeresults
| eval _raw="user,C
user1,1
user2,1
user3,1
user1,-1
user1,1"
| multikv forceheader=1
| eval opscounter=if(C=1,1, null()), deopcounter=if(C=-1,1, null())
| table user opscounter deopcounter
| stats sum(opscounter) as Promoted sum(deopcounter) as Demoted by user
| where Promoted-Demoted>0 

This will show you all users with Promoted>Demoted, however, note that all users will start with a value of 0 for each, so if a user is already an admin and there are no rows found in your time window it will not show that user

It will handle the case where you only see a demotion, as the score will be <0.

To solve the first case, you will either have to search all time, or save some current state of admins, for example to a lookup file, which is done each night, and then your search could combine the current starting state of admins with the search of promotions/demotions done since that last search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...