Splunk Search

Can you tell me the difference between two boolean expressions?

y2kbcm
Explorer

Hi,

I am currently figuring out what is wrong with my boolean expression.

Currently, I'm making a whitelist of application on sysmon app.

The thing is, I got a different result when I used "(Image!=[process1] AND Image!=[Process2])" and "NOT (Image=[process1] OR Image=[process2])"

I would appreciate if you tell me the difference between these two boolean expressions.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@y2kbcm,

If you search with the != expression, every event that has a value in the field, where that value does not match the value you specify, is returned. Events that do not have a value in the field are not included in the results.

If you search with the NOT operator, every event is returned except the events that contain the value you specify. This includes events that do not have a value in the field.

It's explained in Difference between NOT and != with examples.

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@y2kbcm,

If you search with the != expression, every event that has a value in the field, where that value does not match the value you specify, is returned. Events that do not have a value in the field are not included in the results.

If you search with the NOT operator, every event is returned except the events that contain the value you specify. This includes events that do not have a value in the field.

It's explained in Difference between NOT and != with examples.

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

y2kbcm
Explorer

Thank you very much for your comment.
I went over the search manual but it didn't mean anything back then. Now it makes sense!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...