Splunk Search

Can you put a non-tabled field in an alert title?

nick405060
Motivator

I want to be able to put a token in my alert title that is derived from a field NOT in the displayed results table.

How? The below does not work:

| makeresults | eval a="junk" | eval b="junk" | eval _a=a | table b + Splunk Alert: $name$ $result._a$

nick405060
Motivator

99% sure this is a bug. It seems the table, fields, and stats commands breaks the tokenization of hidden fields. Per the below, and per other users I have talked to on 7.3, this issue exists from at least version 7.0 forwards.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/342128/why-does-resultfieldname-token-not-work-in-alert-e.html

@the_tick mentioned maybe using field aliases to workaround, or sendalert. I haven't tried either of those workarounds yet, but this was my solution:

| makeresults | eval a="mysubject" | eval b="mycontent" | map maxsearches=10000 search="| makeresults | eval b=\"$b$\" | table b | sendemail server=smtp.gadsden.com to=\"myemail@gadsden.com\" subject=\"$a$\" message=\"Results:\" sendresults=true inline=true"

To adapt this template to your search, simply calculate the fields that you'll want to tokenize, before the map, and dedup to only be one row of data (e.g. you probably won't be using makeresults). Next, in the map, write your actual alert and in sendemail you can now use the calculated tokens from before the map.

This is a sanitized example of my query:

index=wineventlog (EventCode=4771 OR EventCode=4776 AND Keywords="Audit Failure") user=amkfk NOT Source_Workstation="TABLET3849" NOT Source_Workstation="TOKYO_OFFICE" NOT Source_Workstation="MKK_SURFPRO7"| rex field=_raw "Error Code:\s+(?<error_code>\S+)" | stats values(error_code) AS error_codes | eval error_codes=mvjoin(error_codes,",") | table error_codes |
map maxsearches=10000 search="search index=wineventlog (EventCode=4771 OR EventCode=4776 AND Keywords=\"Audit Failure\") user=amkfk NOT Source_Workstation=\"TABLET3849\" NOT Source_Workstation=\"TOKYO_OFFICE\" NOT Source_Workstation=\"MKK_SURFPRO7\" | rex field=_raw \"Error Code:\s+(?<error_code>\S+)\" | sort 0 _time | table _time user EventCode Source_Workstation ComputerName Keywords error_code | sendemail server=smtp.mydomain.com to=\"myemail@mydomain.com\" subject=\"Splunk Alert: amkfk_4771_4776 ($error_codes$)\" message=\"Results:\" sendresults=true inline=true"

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

eval _subject=subject

underbar field is unvisible.
you should change field name.

action.email.subject.alert = Splunk Alert: $name$ ($result._subject$)
don't forget this ,too.

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

I changed the field name to mysubject - both in the SPL and in the alert subject - with the same result.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...