Splunk Search

Can you help me with an issue i'm having with the strptime function?

Divyachundu

I am trying to implement strptime command on my lookup named test.csv, which has fields _time, hits with data from Aug-12 to Oct-21.

I created a scheduled job to update my lookup dynamically everyday at 3:00 AM with yesterday's data. So, on Oct-23rd, my lookup got updated with Oct-22 data.

The issue is, while running the below command, I am getting blank values for _time field, where as hits field is coming fine.

|inputlookup test.csv|eval _time=strptime(_time, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")
0 Karma

Divyachundu

Thank you all your replied. I figured out what is causing the issue.

The time format in the initial lookup is "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S". When my job is appending the lookup, the time stamp is being saved in epoch which is causing issue when I am using strptime command.

0 Karma

kamal_jagga
Contributor

Try naming the new field differently from _time to Date.

|inputlookup test.csv
|eval Date=strptime(_time, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S").

0 Karma

Divyachundu

I did try this before . Didn't help. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

can you provide sample data of your csv file before you do any evals to it. scrubbed of any pii/phi info, of course.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...