Splunk Search

Can you help me with a lookup table behavior question?

wfjarrett538
Explorer

I have a lookup table that is giving me strange search results that I can't figure out — I have a table which is a list of names, and the team they are on:

person1,team1
person2,team1
person3,team2

However, there are people in the data that may not be defined in a team. I was looking to define them as "Other", so I could create searches for them without using nots. So, in my lookup definition I have Minimum Matches set to 1 and Default Matches set to Other. Also, automatic lookups are turned on.

When I search like:

index=myindex

and drill into interesting fields, it shows a count of 239,824 in team Other

If I click on Team other, or search like:

index=myindex team=Other

Then it shows a count of 86,495.

Why would it be showing 239824 on a more general search, and 86495 when searched for specifically with everything else (including time picker) being the same?

After a bit more testing, to rephrase the question:

If I do the automatic lookup, with a minimum match of 1 and the default match=Other set, I get a different count than running:

index=index| fillnull value=Other Team| search Team=Other

Shouldn't they be the same?

0 Karma

bangalorep
Communicator

You can not use fillnull with automatic lookups. Use |inputlookup and then try the fillnull method.

0 Karma

wfjarrett538
Explorer

Oddly, automatic lookup with fillnull is working and is giving the correct result. As is automatic lookup with index=X. It's automatic lookup with index=X field=y that isn't providing the correct result.

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Automatic lookup is specified by source or source type, but is there any data that is not subject to automatic lookup?

0 Karma

wfjarrett538
Explorer

Hi, thanks for the response. The automatic lookup is set to sourcetype csv, and all of the data is showing as sourcetype=csv

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Are you misspelling "Team" and "team"?

0 Karma

wfjarrett538
Explorer

No, and to verify I even selected it in interesting fields. If I do an all time search, Team in interesting fields has a count of 239,824. If I click on fields there (which adds Team=Other to the search bar) I only get 86,495 results.

If I get rid of the default value in the lookup and do a "fillnull value=Other Team| search Team=Other " on the search I get 239,824. Also, if I skip the Other bit completely and do a Team!=* I get 239,824.

I only seem to get 86,495 when doing an automatic lookup while relies on the miminum match and default value to populate the Other name. Everything else generates 239,824 and I can't see why doing the search the other way would have different results.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...