Splunk Search

Can you help me get the count by user from the following query?

richardphung
Communicator

I am pulling information from the authentication datamodel by modifying the Excessive Failed Logins tstats command:

| tstats values(Authentication.tag) as "tag",values(Authentication.user) as "user",values(Authentication.dest) as "dest",count from datamodel="Authentication"."Authentication" where nodename="Authentication.Failed_Authentication"  by "Authentication.app","Authentication.src"  | rename "Authentication.app" as "app","Authentication.src" as "src" | where 'count'>=6

This provides a nice table with the app, src, tag, a multivalue field for users, a multivalue field for dest, and total counts.

I would like to get the count per user, but am unsure where to start.

I could possibly write a query directly against:

| from datamodel:"Authentication"."Failed_Authentication"

But it seems that doing it this way is rather resource intensive.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

If you want to get the count per user, then the key ingredient is to put by "Authentication.user" instead of by "Authentication.app","Authentication.src". Some further modification may be needed to get exactly what you need (e.g. remove the values(...) as user bit, rename Authentication.user to user etc.)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

If you want to get the count per user, then the key ingredient is to put by "Authentication.user" instead of by "Authentication.app","Authentication.src". Some further modification may be needed to get exactly what you need (e.g. remove the values(...) as user bit, rename Authentication.user to user etc.)

0 Karma

richardphung
Communicator

Yes, this is it.
Seems so obvious now. 😕

0 Karma

nikita_p
Contributor

Hi,
Is your datamodel accelerated? Because accelerated datamodel helps running faster searches and could you try below search?
| tstats values(Authentication.tag) as "tag",dc(Authentication.user) as "user",values(Authentication.dest) as "dest" from datamodel="Authentication"."Authentication" where nodename="Authentication.Failed_Authentication" by "Authentication.app","Authentication.src" | rename "Authentication.app" as "app","Authentication.src" as "src" | where 'count'>=6

0 Karma

richardphung
Communicator

Yes, the datamodel is accelerated.

The search:

| tstats values(Authentication.tag) as "tag",dc(Authentication.user) as "user",values(Authentication.dest) as "dest" from datamodel="Authentication"."Authentication" where nodename="Authentication.Failed_Authentication" by "Authentication.app","Authentication.src" | rename "Authentication.app" as "app","Authentication.src" as "src" | where 'count'>=6

does not produce any results.

Although, with:

| tstats values(Authentication.tag) as "tag",dc(Authentication.user) as "user",values(Authentication.dest) as "dest",count from datamodel="Authentication"."Authentication" where nodename="Authentication.Failed_Authentication" by "Authentication.app","Authentication.src" | rename "Authentication.app" as "app","Authentication.src" as "src" | where 'count'>=6

I get a count of users as "user"

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

Could you please provide sample results of tstats command?

0 Karma

richardphung
Communicator

app, src, tag, user, dest, count
win:remote, 123.456.789.012, authentication, username1, server01, 8
win:remote, 123.456.890.123, authentication, {username1, username2, username 3}, server02, 10
win:remote, 123.456.901.234, authentication, {username1, username3, username4}, server01, 5

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...