Splunk Search

Can you combine cells based on another column value?

cboonyan

Is it possible for splunk to get an output something along the lines of:

Source:
Col_A | Col_B | Col_C

ID_A  |  log 1 | yes
ID_A  | log 2  | no      
ID_A | log 3 | no
ID_B | log 4 | no
ID_B | log 5 | no

sort Col_A
| if Col_C == yes, then search and include all rows where Col_A == ID_A
| eval to combine ID_A into one cell

(will filter away records with ID_B as all of it's Col_C == no)

Desired Result

ID_A | log 1 | yes
ID_A | log 2 | no
ID_A | log 3 | no

Am I able to use splunk for the middle logic? ->if Col_C == yes, then search and include all rows where Col_A == ID_A

0 Karma

mstjohn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hi @cboonyan,

Did you get a chance to try out either of the below answers? If so, go ahead and approve the answer that helped ya. If not, keep us updated about your issue, so users can continue to help out.

Thanks for posting!

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@cboonyan,
Try this

"your search"|sort Col_A|eventstats values(Col_C) as vals by Col_A|eval found=mvfind(vals,"yes")
   |where found=1|fields - vals,found

Here by using eventstats values(Col_C) as vals , we are creating a list of distinct values of Col_C and appending to the existing results. Once we have the multivalue field "vals", we can search in that field for "yes" by using mvfind which will output 1 (index of first matching) for matching and null for not matching result. Finally display only those rows which has found "1" and remove, "vals" and "found" from our result set.

If you need all Col_A in single cell, you could add |stats list(Col_B) as Col_B,list(Col_C) as Col_C by Col_A to the end of the search

"your search"|sort Col_A|eventstats values(Col_C) as vals by Col_A|eval found=mvfind(vals,"yes")
       |where found=1|fields - vals,found|stats list(Col_B) as Col_B,list(Col_C) as Col_C by Col_A
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@cboonyan, did it work for you?

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

cboonyan

thanks @renjith.nair for your response, although it wasn't exactly what I needed, you pointed me in the right direction! on my end, somehow found=mvfind(vals,"yes") did not evaluate to 1 for some reason. In the end, with trial and error, I went with eventstats values(Col_C) as vals by Col_C | eval found=mvfind(vals,"yes") which actually evaluates to 0 for those with "yes" and a null empty field for those that are not "yes".

All in all, eventstats values(Col_C) as vals by Col_C | eval found=mvfind(vals,"yes") | where found=0 works for me.

If you do not mind, can you explain what does the by Col_A do?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cboonyan,
Let me explain that. When we do an eventstats of values(Col_C) as vals by Col_A, it creates a new column "vals" and add all distinct values of Col_C (no,yes) for each row of Col_A.

Col_A   Col_B   Col_C   found   vals
ID_A    log 1   yes     1       no
                                yes

ID_A    log 2   yes     1       no
                                yes 

ID_A    log 3   yes     1       no
                                yes     

ID_B    log 4   no              no
ID_B    log 5   no              no

The column vals is a multi value field. Now with mvfind, we search in the vals for a "yes" and mvfind returns the index of matching starting with '0'. In our case, since the "yes" is second value in the list, it always returns 1. It's possible that you are applying this on a different dataset and not what you have given in this example. Neverthless, we can generalize it by using the below search (|where NOT isnull(found)) instead of using 0 or 1.

"your search"|sort Col_A|eventstats values(Col_C) as vals by Col_A
|eval found=mvfind(vals,"yes")
|where NOT isnull(found)|fields - vals,found

If you are grouping by Col_C itself , it might not be correct. Let's know if you need any further assistance

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

landen99
Motivator
|  reverse
|  eval _time=now()
|  transaction Col_A startswith=(Col_C=yes)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...