Splunk Search

Can we delete the fishbucket for a specific index ?

vrmandadi
Builder

Hello Experts ,

I am trying to delete the fishbucket but I want to delete only one index=syslog..Is there a command I can run that only delete for a  particular index

Thanks in Advance 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The fishbucket is used for Splunk to keep track of its place in each input file.  This is before data is indexed so fishbuckets have no knowledge of indexes.  Deleting a fishbucket causes an input file to re-indexed from the beginning.

If you want to delete data from an index then give up now.  Indexed data cannot be deleted, removed, purged, edited, redacted, modified, or otherwise changed.  The best you can do is hide events from search results using the delete command.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

@richgalloway  Thank you for your response .. The reason I asked was I am having issue with data -re indexing .For that I have done the following steps
Created a new index(previously it was syslog ..changed to syslog1)
Created new data input ([monitor:///admin/logs/abc/syslog/syslog.log*]
Reset the fishbucket entry for all those files
After I enabled the input I see data coming in from syslog.log, syslog.log.25.gz, syslog.log.26.gz etc but few are missing

I checked splunkd.log and saw these messages

12-08-2022 01:50:55.675 +0000 INFO  ArchiveProcessor [180967 archivereader] - Handling file=/admin/logs/abc/syslog/syslog.log.2.gz

12-08-2022 01:50:55.676 +0000 INFO  ArchiveProcessor [180967 archivereader] - record time older than bucket, reindexing path=/admin/logs/abc/syslog/syslog.log.2.gz

12-08-2022 01:50:55.676 +0000 INFO  ArchiveProcessor [180967 archivereader] - reading path=/admin/logs/abc/syslog/syslog.log.2.gz (seek=0 len=579119)

12-08-2022 01:50:55.788 +0000 INFO  ArchiveProcessor [180967 archivereader] - Archive with path="/admin/logs/abc/syslog/syslog.log.2.gz" was already indexed as a non-archive, skipping.

12-08-2022 01:50:55.790 +0000 INFO  ArchiveProcessor [180967 archivereader] - Finished processing file '/admin/logs/abc/syslog/syslog.log.2.gz', removing from stats

How to re-ingest 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think what is happening is Splunk is refusing to ingest the gzip file because it thinks it's already read the uncompressed version of the file.  If the .gz file is just a compressed version of a file already read then you're done (compressed files tend to be deny-listed to avoid this).

If you need the gzip files indexed then try this.  Denylist the .gz files and allow the rest to be indexed.  Clear the fishbucket again then denylist the uncompressed files.  This should allow the compressed files to be indexed.  After that, restore your normal input settings.

---
0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

@richgalloway  Thank you for your input . So are you suggesting to blacklist gzip files first so that it indexes unzipped files and then blacklist unzipped files so that zip files will be indexed?.

monitor:///admin/logs/bac/syslog/syslog.log*]

blacklist = .*/syslog\.log\.1\.gz$

disabled = 0

host = metrics-preos02

host_segment = 3

index = syslog-test1

sourcetype = syslog

whitelist = .*/syslog\.log(|\.[0-9]+\.gz)$

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, that is what I am suggesting - with a delete of the fishbucket in between.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...