Splunk Search

Can the results of the same search vary between use in a search bar and a dashboard?

Explorer

hi,

I am writing the following search query in the dashboard panel

sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="*Launched application: Automatic Registration"| eval Name = "Automatic Registration launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count
| append[search sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="Launched application: AutoQuant"| eval Name = "AutoQuant launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count]
| append[search sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="Launched application: FilmView"| eval Name = "FilmView launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count]
| append[search sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="Launched application: NM Renal"| eval Name = "NM Renal launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count]

| append[search sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="Launched application: NM Viewer"| eval Name = "NM Viewer launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count]

| append[search sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="Launched application: AutoSPECT Pro"| eval Name = "AutoSPECT Pro launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count]

| append[search sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="Launched application: Launched application: AVA"| eval Name = "AVA launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count]

| append[search sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="Launched application: Bone Mineral Density"| eval Name = "Bone Mineral Density launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count]

| append[search sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="Launched application: Brain Perfusion"| eval Name = "Brain Perfusion launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count]

| append[search sourcetype=xml22 |where $field1$ = 7|search Text="Launched application: Cardiac Viewer"| eval Name = "Cardiac Viewer launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count]*

and when i am performing single searches for the above group search like
sourcetype=xml22 |search Text="*Launched application: AutoQuant"| eval Name = "AutoQuant launch" |stats count by Name|table Name count*

the results are varying.

The query says that when the text in Text="Launched application: AutoSPECT Pro" arrives then print the name as given in eval Name = "AutoSPECT Pro launch" and then give the count of its occurrence as in stats count by Name|table Name count

This count is same for a few searches but its varying for others. Kindly help:)

0 Karma

mendesjo
Path Finder

I'm seeing the same thing on one of our dashboards, i do the same exact query from the search bar, vs the dashboard and get different results.

0 Karma

stefan1988
Path Finder

Here same issue. Within the dashboard I see a partial result while my query is exactly the same.

0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

Hello,

I don't think there is a reason for the results to vary but I'm wondering if there no other way to perform your search... it seems very repetitive. What about you do something like:

sourcetype=xml22 $field1$ = 7 | stats count by Text

I know that it will return the full text and not the name you want... but after you get the stats you could use a lookup table to replace the "text" with the "name" you like or maybe | eval name=CASE(...) to change it.

It'll simplify your search command and make easier to debug...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...