Splunk Search

Can't calculate time difference

appleman
Contributor

Hello,

I want to calculate the time difference between two fields, so I tried the below query, but it didn't work.
Please correct my query.

index=service | eval Time=strptime(_time, "%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S") | eval LastSync=strptime(lastSync, "%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S") | eval diff=LastSync-Time | table _time,lastSync,diff,| sort -_time

Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sduff_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You need to be a little more specific as to why it didn't work.

Can you provide some sample events, I'm sure that would be helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sduff_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You need to be a little more specific as to why it didn't work.

Can you provide some sample events, I'm sure that would be helpful.

0 Karma

appleman
Contributor

Here is the sample event.

2017/04/26 22:43:29 operation_id="1493246609" unitid="123456" easid="AAAAAAAAAA" deviceid="11111@123456" firstSync="2017/03/21 23:53:41" lastSync="2017/03/22 08:54:04" status="Quarantined" type="" userAgent="sample.com" apiname="apitest" message="Matched_Standard_mail."

I want to calculate time difference between _time(2017/04/26 22:43:29 in this case) and lastSync(2017/03/22 08:54:04 in this case).
When I ran the query, the result came out to be like this. (See below)

_time lastSync diff
2017/04/26 22:43:29 2017/03/22 08:54:04

It seems like the eval calculation didn't work we,, so the "diff" field could't get a value.
In case, I changed "strptime" to "strftime", but I got the same result.
If there is other way to fix it, please let me know.

Thank you.

0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

You don't need to convert _time field -

index=service | eval Time=_time | eval LastSync=strptime(lastSync, "%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S") | eval diff=LastSync-Time | table _time,lastSync,diff,| sort -_time
0 Karma

ryhluc01
Communicator

The L for LastSync was added to your table as lowercase. What was printed was lastSync(raw data field) instead of LastSync(new eval field)

0 Karma

ryhluc01
Communicator

The new eval "Time" is also not being used or sorted. Everything is going towards the original _time.
Im not sure if thats how it was meant to be or not.

Also, I added this comment to @dineshraj9 instead of the question creator. Sorry : )

0 Karma

appleman
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.
It worked!

Thank you very much.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...