Splunk Search

Can not get my subsearch work

oshirnin
Path Finder

Hello, everybody!

Does anybody can help me understand why the following subsearch not limits the results of the outer search to events from only one host?

index=_internal [search index=_internal | top limit=1 host | table host]

This is a test query, of course I have more meaningful subsearch and outer searches, my goal is to get a set of hosts from the subsearch and then query events from only these hosts in the outer search. Obviously the subsearch ends up with

( ( host="TheHostName" ) )

but I still get events from 100+ hosts from the outer search. Looks very strange to me.

0 Karma
1 Solution

oshirnin
Path Finder

I ended up with upgrading to 7.3.5 (most current 7.x release). It seems I caught the bug with my 7.3.2 https://answers.splunk.com/answers/781748/major-bugs-in-searches-in-splunk-73-do-not-upgrade.html

Actually the problem gone after I upgraded SH cluster members, not even search peers.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

oshirnin
Path Finder

I ended up with upgrading to 7.3.5 (most current 7.x release). It seems I caught the bug with my 7.3.2 https://answers.splunk.com/answers/781748/major-bugs-in-searches-in-splunk-73-do-not-upgrade.html

Actually the problem gone after I upgraded SH cluster members, not even search peers.

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

I tested your query and it correctly limits the results to 1 host for me. If you look at job inspector, does the query look correct? I'm thinking maybe there is a search filter on your role that is getting applied and skewing the results.

oshirnin
Path Finder

Hello, @masonmorales I checked the job inspector and see the following: subsearch returns 2 hosts, but the outer search still doesn't filter on these. Actually I expected normalizedSearch to be something like index=_internal (host="m...62" OR host="m...03"))

I run on Splunk 7.3.2

search
remoteSearch
normalizedSearch
hosts

0 Karma

oshirnin
Path Finder

I have just tested the same query on the another Splunk instance which is 7.1.2 an it runs as expected, subsearch filters the outer search results. The remoteSearch on this instance looks like index=_internal (host="host1" OR host="host2" OR host="host3"). I wonder what may be wrong with my first instance, I'm Splunk admin built-in role on both instances...

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

well, when there is more than one SH or idx, this will be happen, I guess.
I'll learn a lot.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...