Splunk Search

Can earliest/latest function be used over my own timestamp field?

codewarrior
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Hi folks, my dataset looks like this:

timestampiduserMailreason
t1id1a@example.comtest
t2id1a@example.comtest
t3id1a@example.com test
t2id2b@example.comtesttest
t4id2b@example.comttt

I want to group by id and userMail, then find the last (latest) record in each group. From the help document on latest/earliest function, it uses metadata field _time to find the latest row, how can I let latest function to use timestamp field in my case? 
I know I can use something like eval _time = timestamp to overwrite the _time field, but want to know if there are better ways to achieve.

My second question is how to write the query, can i do in this way:

| eval _time=timestamp/pow(10,3)
| chart latest(*) by id, userEmail

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@codewarrior wrote:

My second question is how to write the query, can i do in this way:

| eval _time=timestamp/pow(10,3)
| chart latest(*) by id, userEmail

Also yes.  As soon as you redefine _time, it behaves as the original _time. (In some use cases, you want to first rename the original in order to save its value.  But for the stats that you are using it with, that is not necessary.)

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
If needed you could add new field (or convert timestamp) for epoch time (time in seconds). Then just look min/max from this values and then add values(timestamp) as timestamp your query or convert that min/max value back to displayable format.
r. Ismo
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you can.  If you want to use search command, rename your timestamp _time; else you will need to do calculations in where command.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...