Splunk Search

Can I use search head to enhance searching speed?

Raymond2T
Path Finder

I am newbie in splunk.

I would like to enhance the searching speed.

I am using a splunk instance in a VM (Master) that indexed different data (more than 10 imdexes at this moment).

Can I create more search head (VM- SH 1 and SH 2) to speed up the search and how can I achieve it?

Thank you 

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Raymond2T,

as @richgalloway said, adding a new search Head could be useful to have fastest searches only if you have too many concurrent searches and your Indexers are able to support them.

If you want fastest searches, you have three solutions that can also be used at the same time and obviously the best solution is to apply all of them:

• using more performant disks: Splunk requires at least 800 IOPS for the data storage disks, check if your IOPS is compliant with this requirement: if not use another storage, if yes, use a more performant storage (es. SSD);
  • adding more resources to your Indexers, especially CPUs: remember that every search (and every subsearch) takes a CPU;
  • optimize your scheduled searches:
    • avoiding real time searches (a search takes a cpu and releases it when finishes),
    • scheduling your scheduled searches at different times,
    • avoiding commands as join or transaction,
    • limiting the time frames,
    • using accelarations.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Raymond2T,

as @richgalloway said, adding a new search Head could be useful to have fastest searches only if you have too many concurrent searches and your Indexers are able to support them.

If you want fastest searches, you have three solutions that can also be used at the same time and obviously the best solution is to apply all of them:

• using more performant disks: Splunk requires at least 800 IOPS for the data storage disks, check if your IOPS is compliant with this requirement: if not use another storage, if yes, use a more performant storage (es. SSD);
  • adding more resources to your Indexers, especially CPUs: remember that every search (and every subsearch) takes a CPU;
  • optimize your scheduled searches:
    • avoiding real time searches (a search takes a cpu and releases it when finishes),
    • scheduling your scheduled searches at different times,
    • avoiding commands as join or transaction,
    • limiting the time frames,
    • using accelarations.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Raymond2T
Path Finder

About accelaration , how can I do it ?
On the other hand, can I use GPU to improve the performance?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk does not support GPUs.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Raymond2T,

adding CPUs you improve the available resources, so you reduce the queues in searches executions.

About accelerations see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Knowledge/Aboutsummaryindexing 

In addition you could use Data Models (eventually accelerated) which further improves performance (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Knowledge/Aboutdatamodels).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

More search heads will not enhance searching speed.  Additional SHs provide capacity to run more searches.

Search heads don't actually perform searches - they coordinate the actions of indexers, which do the real searching.  To enhance search performance, add more indexers then redistribute your data among them.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...