Splunk Search

Can I use a lookup table of IP ranges + location names to add a location field to network traffic based on IP range?

md_zali

I have a lookup table of IP ranges with location names. I'm trying to search network traffic and add a "location" field to the result based on what IP range the src_ip falls under. I do not have access to any of the configuration files and would like to know if I can do this within the search.

Example of my lookup table (range_location.csv):
range location
50.106.56.0 /21 site_1

0 Karma

strive
Influencer
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi md_zali,
yes you can manage location lookup as a normal lookup relating the lookup's IP ranges with the search results.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi md_zali,
I found a problem using CIDR that usually works in searches but it seems that doesn't match in lookups.
So a workaround is to write each address in a different row.

IP,location
10.10.10.1,site1
10.10.10.2,site1
10.10.10.3,site1
10.10.10.4,site1
10.10.10.5,site1
10.10.10.6,site2
10.10.10.7,site2
10.10.10.8,site2
10.10.10.9,site2
10.10.10.10,site2

so you can use a search like this
index=your_index
| lookup range_location.csv range AS IP OUTPUT location
|table _time IP location

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

md_zali

Thanks Giuseppe,
Can you please help me with the search?
As mentioned, I need to compare source IPs with the ranges and return the location as a new field.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...