Splunk Search

Can I fix this tstats where error?

Imhim
Explorer

Hi, 

So i have this search: 

| tstats prestats=true count WHERE index=*_ot (source="*sgre*" OR o_wp="*sgre*") AND (source="*how02*" OR o_wp="*how02*") BY _indextime 
| eval _time=_indextime  | timechart count span=1h

Which gives me the error: 

When used for 'tstats' searches, the 'WHERE' clause can contain only indexed fields. Ensure all fields in the 'WHERE' clause are indexed. Properly indexed fields should appear in fields.conf.

Anyone know the solution to this? 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=*_ot (source="*sgre*" OR o_wp="*sgre*") AND (source="*how02*" OR o_wp="*how02*")
| stats count BY _indextime 
| eval _time=_indextime  
| timechart count span=1h

Or ensure all fields, e.g.  o_wp are indexed fields (going forward)

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Imhim,

you can use tstats only on indexed fields, in your case o_wp shouldn't be an indexed field.

This means thatr you cannot use tstats for this search or add o_wp to the indexed fields.

or put all the fields you need for this dataset in a DataModel and use the datamodel for your search.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Imhim
Explorer

Hi @gcusello

Thank you. 

If it needs to be an indexed field, then what would be the optimal approach to this? 

Br, 

Imhim 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Imhim,

you have three choices:

The best solution depends on your requirements: if you need performaces with many events you can use DataModels or Summary indexes.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Imhim
Explorer

Thank you. I appreciate it 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=*_ot (source="*sgre*" OR o_wp="*sgre*") AND (source="*how02*" OR o_wp="*how02*")
| stats count BY _indextime 
| eval _time=_indextime  
| timechart count span=1h

Or ensure all fields, e.g.  o_wp are indexed fields (going forward)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...