Splunk Search

Can I filter a table based on cluster number or subsearch dynamically?

oclumbertruck
Explorer

I have a table of data that is clustered via KMeans, I am trying to filter down to only display the other items in a particular cluster, but since the cluster number is done on the fly, this is proving to be difficult.

index=blah | stats count by something, device | fit PCA k=2 h_fields | fit KMeans k=10 PC_* | table cluster PC_* device h_fields

This will give the info I am looking for, but I only want to filter to view the other items in a single cluster, I know what device ahead of time, but I don't know the cluster number to look for until after the table renders. Basically want to only find other data in the same cluster.

I've been trying to do something like " | search [ search device="myDevice" | return 1 cluster=cluster] " but that does not seem to work....

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
Legend

Try something like this after your kmeans...

| eventstats count(eval(device="myDevice")) as theclusterIwant by CLUSTERNUMBER
| where theclusterIwant>=1

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@oclumbertruck, if you want to pick first or last of Cluster Number from your base search and pass the same to your subsequent search you can use map command. Following is an example:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd log_level!="INFO" 
| stats count by component log_level
| kmeans k=2
| search log_level="WARN"
| tail 1
| table CLUSTERNUM
| map search="search index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd log_level!=\"INFO\" 
| stats count by component log_level
| kmeans k=5
| search CLUSTERNUM=$CLUSTERNUM$"

PS: It uses Splunk's _internal index and does not use fit <model> commands (as somehow it is not working on my machine). However, to provide an example I have used kmeans command directly on two fields as present in Splunk's _internal index. Please change the query as per your need.
Notice that double quotes inside map command needs to be escaped with backslash. Refer to map command Splunk documentation: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Map

DalJeanis
Legend

Try something like this after your kmeans...

| eventstats count(eval(device="myDevice")) as theclusterIwant by CLUSTERNUMBER
| where theclusterIwant>=1

oclumbertruck
Explorer

This worked great for what I need. I started down this path, but didn't quite get there, thanks for the help!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...