Splunk Search

Can I execute several functions with a single (perhaps custom) command?

kamryn
Explorer

Based on the statistical data we have to generate, we normally have to type out many functions like so:

search string |stats median(a) as "The Median" stdev(a) as "Standard Deviation" min(a) as "Minimum" max(a) as "Maximum" range(a) as "The Range"

Is it possible to define a function to combine multiple functions to be ran at once?

For example something like:

SuperStats(a)

Then have it automatically display in the chart the other functions such as median, standard deviation, minimum, maximum and range?

I understand there are custom searches that can be created but I am not a programmer, if there's any other native options to take advantage of to perform this, I would like to look at them before attempting to go down that route.

I hope the wording in my question makes sense. Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you for any advice you might have to share.

0 Karma
1 Solution

dmarling
Builder

you can create a search macro that has a variable passed into it. It would look like this when you set it up:
alt text

And when you execute a search it would look like this:

search string | `SuperStats(a)`

Here's a run anywhere example once you get it created:

index=_internal sourcetype="splunk_web_access"
| `SuperStats(bytes)`

Documentation is here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/Knowledge/Definesearchmacros

If this comment/answer was helpful, please up vote it. Thank you.

View solution in original post

dmarling
Builder

you can create a search macro that has a variable passed into it. It would look like this when you set it up:
alt text

And when you execute a search it would look like this:

search string | `SuperStats(a)`

Here's a run anywhere example once you get it created:

index=_internal sourcetype="splunk_web_access"
| `SuperStats(bytes)`

Documentation is here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/Knowledge/Definesearchmacros

If this comment/answer was helpful, please up vote it. Thank you.

kamryn
Explorer

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...