Splunk Search

Can I convert a back-referenced value to lowercase in a regex replacement?

Graham_Hanningt
Builder

I think the answer is "no" (as of Splunk Enterprise 6.4), but I thought it was worth checking, because this might affect what fields and values I send to Splunk (typically, in JSON; via TCP, or possibly HEC).

If the answer is a straightforward "no", then the rest of this question, which describes my use case, is more or less academic.

I've read, among other topics:

From that PCRE man page:

Unsupported escape sequences
In Perl, the sequences \l, \L, \u, and \U are recognized by its string handler and used to modify the case of following characters.

So, I'm not surprised that, given the following JSON input:

{"time":"2016-05-11 10:40:30.123456","type":"XYZ","code":"A1B2","some_other_field": "some_value"}

the following per-event source type override in transforms.conf:

REGEX = \"type\":\"([^\"]+)\",\"code\":\"([^\"]+)\"
FORMAT = sourcetype::\L$1_$2

results in a sourcetype field value of \LXYZ_A1B2 - that is, with a leading backlash and capital L - rather than the desired xyz_a1b2.

If the answer is, as I expect, "no", then I see the following options:

1. Instead of sending JSON with the current type and code fields, send JSON with a "precanned" single field, such as event_sourcetype, with the field value xyz_a1b2, already in lowercase. (The event_ field name prefix is to keep the field name separate from the default sourcetype field; yes, I've tried using the field name sourcetype in the input JSON). This would allow for a simpler source type override stanza (one matching field, one back reference).
  2. Send type and code field values as lowercase.
  3. Live with the uppercase (as is) sourcetype field value XYZ_A1B2.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions all welcome.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your only option using Splunk is SEDCMD:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/Data/Anonymizedatausingconfigurationfiles

Something like this:

SEDCMD-upper2lower_v1 = y/ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz/
SEDCMD-upper2lower_v2 = y/[A-Z]/[a-z]/
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...