Splunk Search

Can I compare a field from two or more subsearches?

rune_hellem
Contributor

We have three environments test, stage and prod where we run a script that creates a log file that pr. event lists name of environment, application name, buildversion for the app and the cluster it is installed to, like

12.06.2015 10:13:32,935 cellName=test applicationName=useradmin-ear buildVersion=1.7.0 clusterName=InternalCluster

My plan is to create script that creates a table in our documentation wiki showing a table with the environments as columns and applicationnames as rows the buildVersion and then mark the differences.

But then it struck me that I could save me all that work if I am able to create a search in Splunk doing this. That would be

search in indexes test,stage and prod 
find all applicationNames
where buildVersion is not equal in all indexes
show result in a table as applicationName,test.buildVersion,stage.buildVersion, prod.buildVersion

I did try to play around with the set command without to much luck so far.

set intersect [search index=stage  source="E:\\logs\allApplicationsWithDetails.log" | fields applicationName,buildVersion] [search index=test source="E:\\logs\\allApplicationsWithDetails.log" | fields applicationName,buildVersion]

well aware of the fact that this might be a long shot...

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

(index=test OR index=stage OR index=prod) source="E:\\logs\allApplicationsWithDetails.log" | stats dc(buildVersion) AS numVersions list(buildVersion) AS versions list(index) AS indices BY applicationName | where numVersions > 1

The 2 lists map value-to-value (the first value in indices goes with the first value in versions)

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

(index=test OR index=stage OR index=prod) source="E:\\logs\allApplicationsWithDetails.log" | stats dc(buildVersion) AS numVersions list(buildVersion) AS versions list(index) AS indices BY applicationName | where numVersions > 1

The 2 lists map value-to-value (the first value in indices goes with the first value in versions)

rune_hellem
Contributor

Thanks!

That does it...saves me hours of Powershell-scripting.

R.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Why are you still using Powershell? I ditched it after my first use of MobaXterm.

0 Karma

rune_hellem
Contributor

Tempting, but as it is said: "Choose your battles..." and when working in a company running Windows all over introducing something like MobaXterm is just for the few, not for the masses, so Powershell is the path of least resistance 🙂

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Powershell is for Windows people and MobaXterm is for *nix people. IMHO, if you have *nix people on staff and not providing something like MobaXterm, you hare seriously hamstringing them and cratering their productivity.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...