Splunk Search

Calculating Average and Standard Deviation of a Type of Log per Week returns wrong results if searching for all Types

ulloa
Engager

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. Otherwise, the below is my issue. Say for example I have the following type of information logged.

Level=Error
Exception: Type1
Level=Error
Exception: Type2
Level=Error
Exception: Type3
Level=Error
Exception: Type10

I have a splunk search like the following:

index=foo* earliest=-1w latest=@d Level=Error 
Exception="Type2"
| spath Exception 
| rename Exception as Type
| bucket span=1d _time
| stats count by _time, Type
| stats avg(count) as Average by Type
| table Type, Average

This particular search will return the correct calculation for average for the Type.

However, upon removing the following line from the search above: 

Exception="Type2"

From my understanding, the search will now open up the calculation of averages for all the types. However, this causes the calculation of the Average to be incorrect in the table.

Could you all please help me out to understand why the calculation is inaccurate for the exisiting Type2 as well as the rest after opening up the search for all of the Types?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One possibility is that your earliest time is not a snap to date, i.e. you are specifying -1w, whereas you might want to use -1w@d as the -1w will be -1w from NOW, so each time you run the search, you are searching a slightly different time range.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One possibility is that your earliest time is not a snap to date, i.e. you are specifying -1w, whereas you might want to use -1w@d as the -1w will be -1w from NOW, so each time you run the search, you are searching a slightly different time range.

0 Karma

ulloa
Engager

That was totally it. It definitely got me the results I wanted. Thanks so much for your help @bowesmana!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...