Splunk Search

Calculate percentage of counts over events

huaraz
Explorer

Hi

I would like to get alerted about the percentage of extraction errors ( since there is no built-in function for this 😞 )

I was looking at this option ( field1 is the first field in my EXTRACT regex in transforms.conf )

index=logs | eval isn=if(isnull(field1),1,0) | chart sum(isn) count(isn) perc100(sum(isn)/count(isn))

but that does not work.

Thank you
Markus

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

Hi huaraz
To show the value perc100 in a table do this

index=logs | eval isn=if(isnull(field1),1,0) | chart sum(isn) count(isn) | eval perc100='sum(isn)'/'count(isn)' |table perc100
0 Karma

stephane_cyrill
Builder

Hi Markus,
To show the value of perc100 in a table, just pipe what somesoni2 did like this:
.......l table perc100

you can add more the one fields using table commande.

...l perc100 sum(isn) count(isn) host

0 Karma

huaraz
Explorer

That does not seem to work perc100 is just empty. But I think I found another way

index=logs | eval isn=if(isnull(field1),1,0) | chart sum(isn) as Failures count(isn) as "Total events" avg(eval(isn*100)) as Percentage

In this case average is also percentage,isn't it ?

Markus

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Chart/stats can't do operations on the fields which are not defined yet (sum(isn) and count(isn) will be available after chart command only). So try this

index=logs | eval isn=if(isnull(field1),1,0) | chart sum(isn) count(isn) | eval perc100='sum(isn)'/'count(isn)'
0 Karma

huaraz
Explorer

How do I then show the value perc100 in a table or chart ?

Markus

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...