Splunk Search

Calculate hourly usage from Machine data

shashank_24
Path Finder

Hi, I have uploaded a JSON data from one of my APM tools into Splunk to get some meaningful insights. The events are there for every hour. Every event has 2 fields timeFrameStart & timeFrameEnd which are coming as Epoch time and I have converted them into human readable format. There is another fields called Visits which tells me how many visits were there in that hour.

My requirement is to plot a hourly usage graph with time as x-axis (probably derive from timeFrameStart field) and visits on the y-axis. I've written a base query -

source="mydataarchive" host="splunkdev" index="test_index"
| eval startTime=strftime(timeFrameStart/1000,"%a,%d %b %Y %H:%M:%S") 
| eval endTime=strftime(timeFrameEnd/1000,"%a,%d %b %Y %H:%M:%S") 
| table startTime endTime visits

Let me know if anyone can advice on this using stats or timechart command.

Labels (4)
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@shashank_24 

Can you please try this for timechart?

source="mydataarchive" host="splunkdev" index="test_index"
| eval timeFrameStart=timeFrameStart/1000, timeFrameEnd=timeFrameEnd/1000, usage=timeFrameEnd-timeFrameStart, _time=timeFrameStart
| timechart span=1h sum(usage) as usage sum(Visits) as Visits

shashank_24
Path Finder

@kamlesh_vaghela  It's not working. What i want is hourly chart with visits on y-axis. _time field is coming as index time which I don't want.

I want to plot against the time field 

timeFrameStart
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@shashank_24 

If you observe the search I'm overwrite the _time by doing eval. It isn't working? 

_time=timeFrameStart

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...