Splunk Search

Bucketing function

polymorphic
Communicator

I Cant get this search to work as i wish.

This is my search (timespan = -2h@h):

sourcetype=stats device_id=1352199920_8710631364 | bucket _time span=1h | table _time LogKb1521 LogKb57740 LogDelegateErr CountNoL7OptNFS CountPassIntSSL CountNoL7OptNotes LogKb1872 CountNoL7OptMSSQL CountPassCitrix LogKb1510

What i want is a search result telling me the summed events (yes, the fields are numerical) of each field with 2 samples. One for the events from -2h@h to -1h@h and another from -1h@h to @h

What i do get is 31 results.

Same result when using 'bins=2'

When using 'minspan=1h', i get this error: "minspan option has no effect when span is specified"

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

I don't think that the bucket command is misbehaving - you probably have 31 events in total for that device_id for those 2 hours.

table just lists the fields in each event. So 31 events will give a table with 31 rows.

What I think you want is a timechart with a sum() for each field. Please note that the time constraints are added to the search below;

sourcetype=stats device_id=1352199920_8710631364 earliest=-2h@h latest=@h | timechart span=1h sum(LogKb1521) sum(LogKb57740) sum(LogDelegateErr) sum(CountNoL7OptNFS) sum(CountPassIntSSL) sum(CountNoL7OptNotes) sum(LogKb1872) sum(CountNoL7OptMSSQL) sum(CountPassCitrix) sum(LogKb1510)

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

I don't think that the bucket command is misbehaving - you probably have 31 events in total for that device_id for those 2 hours.

table just lists the fields in each event. So 31 events will give a table with 31 rows.

What I think you want is a timechart with a sum() for each field. Please note that the time constraints are added to the search below;

sourcetype=stats device_id=1352199920_8710631364 earliest=-2h@h latest=@h | timechart span=1h sum(LogKb1521) sum(LogKb57740) sum(LogDelegateErr) sum(CountNoL7OptNFS) sum(CountPassIntSSL) sum(CountNoL7OptNotes) sum(LogKb1872) sum(CountNoL7OptMSSQL) sum(CountPassCitrix) sum(LogKb1510)

Hope this helps,

Kristian

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

you're welcome

0 Karma

polymorphic
Communicator

Yes you are right.
Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...