Splunk Search

Best practice dedup: should I use it as early as possible, or postpone it since it is non-streaming?

rvsroe
Explorer

In the fundamentals 1 course lab 8 tells us to:
"As a best practice and for best performance, place dedup as early in the search as possible." (page 4)

But the quick refence guide tells us that:
"Postpone commands that process over the entire result set (non-streaming commands) as late as possible in your search. Some of these commands are: dedup, sort, and stats" (page2)

the example command they give in lab 8 places dedup in front of the distributable streaming command 'rename':
index=main sourcetype="access_combined_wcookie" action=purchase status=200 file="success.do"
| dedup JSESSIONID
| table JSESSIONID, action, status
| rename JSESSIONID as UserSessions

Would it not make sense to place dedup after rename? I guess 'as early as possible' is ambiguous anyways, but any input on where to place dedup would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Roelof

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

koshyk
Super Champion

The best way to tackle the above query is

index=main sourcetype="access_combined_wcookie" action=purchase status=200 file="success.do" 
| stats count by JSESSIONID, action, status

stats or dedup is much efficient and reduce the data as much as possible before you do field level manipulations
you do a statistical reduction as early as possible in your search

View solution in original post

koshyk
Super Champion

The best way to tackle the above query is

| stats count by JSESSIONID, action, status

stats or dedup is much efficient and reduce the data as much as possible before you do field level manipulations
you do a statistical reduction as early as possible in your search

rvsroe
Explorer

Hi Koshyk,
Thank you for the quick reply, just a follow up: this means that if I rename before stats or dedup it would take more time? And this would be the case since it is renaming over a larger dataset than if it was excuted after stats/dedup?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...