Splunk Search

Best Way to Filter on multiple fields with multiple values

toddbruner
Explorer

Splunk newbie in search of advise. Here's the situation:

I have two sources that provide e-mail info: tag::host="es1" and source="/data/elog.txt". One source reports SMTP_RCPT_TO and the other reports MAIL_TO. (the values stored in each are all over the place, e.g. "foo user ", FOO@user.org, foo@smtp.user.org...)

I want to find all lines that match a set of users, e.g. "foo, bar, and baz" (including any permutation of the receiving domain like /.*user.org/i and any capitalization of username)

The simple search: tag::host="es1" OR source="/data/elog.txt" (foo OR bar OR baz) does the trick (although you get hits on other fields as well)

Now expand that list of users to 40 or 50 and I'm starting to look for a better way. inputlookups seem promising, but fail due to the myriad of ways the email agents stuff address data into splunk. It seems that lookups are exact match. I could create various permutations in the lookup csv but that would be brittle and tedious.

So masters of splunk-fu, are there other approaches you would recommend? Something obvious that I've overlooked?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you don't care about the domain (as in, it's always going to be *user.org and you're just looking for jsmith), I would probably go the route of pulling out just the user addresses. Depending on the variance in your logs, you could either go generically:

YourSearch | rex field=_raw "(?<Username>\S*)@\S*" 

or more specifically:

YourSearch | rex field=MAIL_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@" | rex field=SMTP_RCPT_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@"

You can also convert the username to lowercase:

YourSearch | rex field=MAIL_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@" 
           | rex field=SMTP_RCPT_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@" 
           | eval Username=lower(Username)

If you are concerned about grabbing other domains, and really only care about a particular domain, you could alter the regex:

YourSearch | rex field=MAIL_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@\S*user.org" 
           | rex field=SMTP_RCPT_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@\S*user.org" 

That doesn't get you 100% of the way there, as you'll still need a | search Username=foo OR Username=bar at the end, but it should get you closer, certainly.

View solution in original post

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you don't care about the domain (as in, it's always going to be *user.org and you're just looking for jsmith), I would probably go the route of pulling out just the user addresses. Depending on the variance in your logs, you could either go generically:

YourSearch | rex field=_raw "(?<Username>\S*)@\S*" 

or more specifically:

YourSearch | rex field=MAIL_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@" | rex field=SMTP_RCPT_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@"

You can also convert the username to lowercase:

YourSearch | rex field=MAIL_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@" 
           | rex field=SMTP_RCPT_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@" 

If you are concerned about grabbing other domains, and really only care about a particular domain, you could alter the regex:

YourSearch | rex field=MAIL_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@\S*user.org" 
           | rex field=SMTP_RCPT_TO "(?<Username>\S*)@\S*user.org" 

That doesn't get you 100% of the way there, as you'll still need a | search Username=foo OR Username=bar at the end, but it should get you closer, certainly.

toddbruner
Explorer

Thanks, David. I will give this a try.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

You could certainly combine this method with a lookup table where you "| lookup" after the manipulation of the user fields.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

Todd,

Ultimately a lookup table would be the best mechanism for doing something like this. Unfortunately, partial result matching is not possible with out of the box csv files. There are alternatives however...including custom python.

See also:

http://answers.splunk.com/questions/10520/is-it-possible-to-match-partial-results-against-a-lookup-t...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...