Splunk Search

BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE=TRUE seems to not be working

mitag
Contributor

A custom web application produces logs in the tomcat format like this:

2020-01-31 18:19:02,091 DEBUG [com.vendor.make.services.ServiceName] (pool-7-thread-44) - <Short Form: time elapsed 120, pause interval 360, workflows to start 0>
Potentially a super long message from one to 400 lines, < 50K characters, often JSON

The events always begin with a newline and a timestamp, always in the same format (above).

... yet Splunk breaks up long events (I've seen events with 3K characters broken up, and more) - and so far it looks like they are all JSONs being logged.:

1/31/20
6:21:02.419 PM  
    "preroll_start-eVar32" : "live"
  },
  "feed:relateds" : [ ]
}, {
  "id" : asset_id,
Show all 9 lines
host = hostname source = /custom_app/tomcat/logs/custom_app.log sourcetype = tomcat:custom_app

It also seems to do so consistently, and always in the same place regardless of the length of the event, right between these two lines:

"preroll_start-eVar29" : "feed_app|sec_us|||asset_id|video|200131_feedl_headlines_3pm_video",
"preroll_start-eVar32" : "live"

Any idea what trips it, or what can be done to force Splunk to keep these events together?

Thanks!

Incidentals:

TRUNCATE = 0 in the props.conf (+ splunk apply cluster-bundle) on the CM seem to make no difference.

/opt/splunk/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/props.conf on the CM:

[tomcat:custom_app]
TRUNCATE = 0
EXTRACT-.... = ....
SEDCMD-scrub_passwords = s/STRING1_PASS=([^\s]+)/STRING1_PASS=#####/g
0 Karma
1 Solution

mitag
Contributor

Short answer:

MAX_EVENTS=10000

... in the appopriate sourcetype stanza in props.conf.

Long answer:

"Line breaking issues" section in "Resolve data quality issues" Splunk KB article pointed in the right direction:

MAX_EVENTS defines the maximum number of lines in an event.

I.e. if there is a chance the number of lines in an event if > 256 for a specific sourcetype, set MAX_EVENTS to what the maximum should be. In my case the super-long JSONs could run thousands of lines, and I set it to 10000.

Clues:

"Show all 257 lines" in an event, like this:

2020-02-08 23:25:02,439 TRACE [com.vendor.services.ingest.ExternalIngestService] (pool-7-thread-28) - <JSON Feed:
{
  "lastBuildDate" : "2020-02-09 05:13:34.034+0000",
  "****:analytics" : [ {
    "****:analytics-pageName" : "alertsindex|auto-play",
Show all 257 lines
sourcetype = tomcat:custom_app

This means the event is around 256 lines long - and given the default limit of 256 lines per event, this should raise suspicions.

Another clue is mentioned in "Resolve data quality issues", to look for "MAX_EVENTS (256) was exceeded without a single event break" warnings in splunkd.log, e.g.:

12-07-2016 09:32:32.876 -0500 WARN  AggregatorMiningProcessor - Changing breaking behavior for event stream because MAX_EVENTS (256) was exceeded without a single event break. Will set BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE to False, and unset any MUST_NOT_BREAK_BEFORE or MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER rules. Typically this will amount to treating this data as single-line only.

P.S. To me, MAX_EVENTS is confusing: MAX_LINES would have been much easier to digest.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mitag
Contributor

Short answer:

MAX_EVENTS=10000

... in the appopriate sourcetype stanza in props.conf.

Long answer:

"Line breaking issues" section in "Resolve data quality issues" Splunk KB article pointed in the right direction:

MAX_EVENTS defines the maximum number of lines in an event.

I.e. if there is a chance the number of lines in an event if > 256 for a specific sourcetype, set MAX_EVENTS to what the maximum should be. In my case the super-long JSONs could run thousands of lines, and I set it to 10000.

Clues:

"Show all 257 lines" in an event, like this:

2020-02-08 23:25:02,439 TRACE [com.vendor.services.ingest.ExternalIngestService] (pool-7-thread-28) - <JSON Feed:
{
  "lastBuildDate" : "2020-02-09 05:13:34.034+0000",
  "****:analytics" : [ {
    "****:analytics-pageName" : "alertsindex|auto-play",
Show all 257 lines
sourcetype = tomcat:custom_app

This means the event is around 256 lines long - and given the default limit of 256 lines per event, this should raise suspicions.

Another clue is mentioned in "Resolve data quality issues", to look for "MAX_EVENTS (256) was exceeded without a single event break" warnings in splunkd.log, e.g.:

12-07-2016 09:32:32.876 -0500 WARN  AggregatorMiningProcessor - Changing breaking behavior for event stream because MAX_EVENTS (256) was exceeded without a single event break. Will set BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE to False, and unset any MUST_NOT_BREAK_BEFORE or MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER rules. Typically this will amount to treating this data as single-line only.

P.S. To me, MAX_EVENTS is confusing: MAX_LINES would have been much easier to digest.

0 Karma

abhijeet01
Path Finder

Hi mitag,

Try below Syntax in your props.conf under sourcetype.

[Sourcetype] 
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = ^\d\d\d\d-\d\d-\d\d\s\d\d:\d\d:\d\d,\d\d\d 
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1 
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true 
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S,%3Q

The regex in above syntax is matching with your event format.
PFA screenshot for your ref.

alt text

0 Karma

mitag
Contributor

It would probably work - but:

• won't scale / port if the app is ported to non-US time notation standards - this will break then, and I don't want to write up REGEXes for all possible scenarios - not my job.
  • doesn't answer a part of my question: why does Splunk do what it does? What trips it to break the event between those specific lines regardless of the number of lines or characters in the event?

W/o answering that last one (expected behavior? a bug? just my Splunk version or all of them? Is this documented anywhere? Etc.) - we're left with unpredictable behavior that can potentially break things.

Bottom line is this perhaps:

What is the sure-fire way to force Splunk to only break a long event on a Splunk-compliant timestamp? (If it's just TRUNCATE = 0 and the default setting of SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true - then it's not working in this case and I need help figuring out why.)

(Related to that: what is the way to search for improperly broken events across all datasets - events Splunk broke up into multiples whether intended or not? E.g. is there a flag, a field or tag assigned to these events?)

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

Using LINE_BREAKER= and SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false will always be WAAAAAAAY faster than using SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true. Obviously the better the RegEx in your LINE_BREAKER, the more efficient event processing will be so always spend extra time optimizing your LINE_BREAKER.

@woodcock says.

mitag
Contributor

Cool - didn't realize LINE_BREAKER= takes precedence to SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false. (But doesn't that mean that when LINE_BREAKER is defined, Splunk won't even look at the SHOULD_LINEMERGE setting? I.e. it'd only break events on LINE_BREAKER REGEX matches regardless of whether there are newlines? ....Unless I missing something...)

That said, my goal is to ask Splunk to only break on what Splunk thinks are valid timestamps, not to write up all possible timestamp REGEXes myself - for portability and maintenance reasons.

So I still need to figure this out.

0 Karma

jbrocks
Communicator

As you said that every event begins with a new line, you might only set SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false (and use the default LINE_BREAKER which is per default defined to break an event after every line or if you also have newlines without being a new event, you need to define the LINE_BREAKER for this).

0 Karma

mitag
Contributor

event begins with a newline != there are no newlines within an event.

There are newlines in the event - lots of them - most JSONs have them. So following your suggestion would make it much worse...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...