Splunk Search

Automatically capitalize the first letter of every word that follows a period?

rogue670
Engager

I am looking for the proper SPL to capitalize the first letter of every word that follows a period. I have tried several different ways using the eval/upper command. But can't quite get it right. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Karma

kulick
Path Finder

How about this SPL leveraging sed-mode of rex...

| makeresults | eval str="The foo is bar.  baz is fine. what?" 
| rex mode=sed field=str "s/\.( +)([a-z])/. \1__\2__/g s/__a__/A/g s/__b__/B/g s/__c__/C/g s/__d__/D/g s/__e__/E/g s/__f__/F/g s/__g__/G/g s/__h__/H/g s/__i__/I/g s/__j__/J/g s/__k__/K/g s/__l__/L/g s/__m__/M/g s/__n__/N/g s/__o__/O/g s/__p__/P/g s/__q__/Q/g s/__r__/R/g s/__s__/S/g s/__t__/T/g s/__u__/U/g s/__v__/V/g s/__w__/W/g s/__x__/X/g s/__y__/Y/g s/__z__/Z/g"

Ugly, but effective. I use a variant (that doesn't require a period) to capitalize every word in a fragment for display in a table.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi rogue670,
if you have something like " 2017-09-22 09.09.09 this is a test to take the first letter after a period a12345 " and I want to find the " a " letter after the period " after a period " you can use rex command:

your_search
| rex "after a period (?<letter>\w)"

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

landen99
Motivator

I downvoted this post because the question was about capitalizing first letters.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@rogue670, Can you add some sample events?

niketn
Legend

@rogue670, while this question depends on what data you have, following is a roundabout way for replacing first character of every line to upper case. Due to a limit of 100 events by list() argument for stats command, each one of your event should have maximum 100 lines.

| makeresults 
| eval raw="this is a test string. it has characters after period in lower case.pick up first character after period and convert to upper case.test complete." 
| makemv delim="." raw 
| mvexpand raw
| eval raw=trim(raw)
| eval raw = upper(substr(raw,1,1)).substr(raw,2)."."
| stats list(raw) as raw
| nomv raw

PS: There could be easier more direct approach using rex with sed. However, while I was able to pin point first character of every line which was lower case, I was not able to replace the same with upper case.

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...