Splunk Search

Asterix search returns nothing

Peely
Explorer

When I first setup Splunk on my local machine (Playing around with it as I learn it), I could search for '*' and get shown all events for the time period. Then suddenly, I got no data back. I thought my events were lost. After lots of container deletes and creation ( Running in Docker), I eventually realised that my data was their, but ONLY when i searched for it exactly. What is going on?

This is an image of four searches, but only the specific ones return data. Why has '*' stopped working?

https://imgur.com/a/CYBJcHJ

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

Most probably, "Indexes searched by default" does not have required indexes.

In Access Controls -> Roles, please check the Indexes searched by default section and make sure you have indexes added. This should be done for the specific roles

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Most probably, "Indexes searched by default" does not have required indexes.

In Access Controls -> Roles, please check the Indexes searched by default section and make sure you have indexes added. This should be done for the specific roles

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

Peely
Explorer

Wow, amazing, that was it. I would have never found that setting, thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...