Splunk Search

Are values() returned by Splunk in a search sorted alphabetically?

morethanyell
Builder

I couldn't find any documentation except that values(), when used in transforming commands, performs dedup. But there's no official documentation saying that the result is returned or sorted alphabetically.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=main 
 | stats values(sourcetype) as ST

updated well, yes, i ran this one and "yes, values() returns the result alphabetically"

when used in transforming commands "performs dedup"
do you have any confusion regarding the dedup?!?!

View solution in original post

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=main 
 | stats values(sourcetype) as ST

updated well, yes, i ran this one and "yes, values() returns the result alphabetically"

when used in transforming commands "performs dedup"
do you have any confusion regarding the dedup?!?!

morethanyell
Builder

No confusion at all because I complete understand that values() performs a dedup unlike list() which does not. Thanks anyway.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ya, the list() will just list the values.. and for values(), the splunk creators liked alphabetical order it-seems.
maybe, you can accept this as the answer, so that this question will be moved to answered posts. thanks.

0 Karma

morethanyell
Builder

I can't accept this answer. But if you change your answer to "yes, values() returns the result alphabetically" then I will accept it as correct answer. I hope you understand my part. I don't want to accept an answer with "maybe, that is a good idea, i feel." Thank you very much.

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

haha, done!

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

when used in transforming commands performs dedup.//
Can you pls post your search query?!?!

0 Karma

morethanyell
Builder
index=ourindex sourcetype=asourcetype
| stats values(Status) as Status by Category
| eval Status = mvjoin(Status, " ")

Result:

Category   Status
Cat1           Blocked Completed In Progress
Cat 2          Completed Not Started
Cat 3          Blocked In Progress Not Started
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...